Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KBQ Ribs Instead Of The Egg This Time

Options
I go back and forth using the egg and the KBQ for ribs.  They come out totally different, each with their merits.  I think the convection system and stick burner design gives the KBQ the edge.  It requires lots of baby sitting but the end result is worth it.  I won a local competition with it in October so the judges agreed.  

Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Very nice!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I’m trying to avoid the nudge to get one, but you all are making it increasingly difficult. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I’ve used the KBQ a couple of times to make ribs now.  I think it was practically designed to make ribs, it’s so good at it.  What’s crazy is how quickly it can cook things with the convection effect.

Mind sharing your time and temp and approach?   I’ve been going 250F straight, with no wrap.  I open both valves about halfway to get a smoke profile that works for me.  For baby backs, this only ends up taking about 3 hrs.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I try to cook ribs at 255 or so.  The KBQ cycles on/off at 30 degrees so it’s hard to judge exactly where you are temp wise.  I generally wrap so I go in the smoke 2 1/2 -3 hrs then bring inside to finish wrapped in the oven.  I run with both poppets wide open, this cook hickory with a few cherry chunks thrown in. You are correct I use the KBQ exclusively for ribs, I like my chicken raised direct in the egg at 400-425.  The KBQ can’t do that.  I use my big gravity fed unit for briskets and pork butts. 
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I try to cook ribs at 255 or so.  The KBQ cycles on/off at 30 degrees so it’s hard to judge exactly where you are temp wise.  I generally wrap so I go in the smoke 2 1/2 -3 hrs then bring inside to finish wrapped in the oven.  I run with both poppets wide open, this cook hickory with a few cherry chunks thrown in. You are correct I use the KBQ exclusively for ribs, I like my chicken raised direct in the egg at 400-425.  The KBQ can’t do that.  I use my big gravity fed unit for briskets and pork butts. 
    Thanks man.   I'm aware of the cycling, and just assume I'm smoking about in the middle of that 30 degree swing.  Sometimes I'll use an additional pit probe to monitor that and it's been about right.

I haven't tried wrapping ribs at any point yet.  Really just trying to understand what can be accomplished without much of any intervention.  Very happy with everything that has come off so far.

Regarding your comment on chicken, over Thanksgiving I did a couple of skin-on turkey breasts in the KBQ.  They were rubbed with a garlic-butter-herb paste, and then rolled up into kind of a roast.  That turned out to easily be one of the best things I have ever had.  I was kind of amazed given it was my first time trying that approach.   Give it a shot sometime.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Those ribs look delicious! That's my next KBQ cook.

And, another vote for chicken on the KBQ. I love chicken smoked low n slow, over wood, but don't always get to have it. The KBQ does a phenomenal job of it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @caliking Tell me more about the KBQ chicken.  I have failed miserably at low temp chicken cooks on the egg hence I do 400 or so raised direct on the egg.  
    Southeast Louisiana
  • caliking
    Options
    @caliking Tell me more about the KBQ chicken.  I have failed miserably at low temp chicken cooks on the egg hence I do 400 or so raised direct on the egg.  
    Whole chicken, split longitudinally. I find that 2 halves are easier to handle than a spatchcocked bird, for the cook, and cutting/ serving. 

Season with rub of choice. Air dry in the fridge overnight (optional). Fire up the KBQ with your wood of choice, running at 250F. I’ve tried mesquite and hickory,   running with only the bottom poppet open, and both poppets open. Both versions were good. 

Let it go until IT is about 150F in the breast, 160F in the thigh. Should take about an hour. 

The skin renders well,   but still working out the kinks to get bite through skin. We’re not fans of chicken skin, so not a big deal on this side.  

The   chicken tastes beautiful :) wonderful smoked flavor. Great texture, and so juicy. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    caliking said:
    We’re not fans of chicken skin, so not a big deal on this side.  

Amen. I thought I might be the only one!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    caliking said:

Don't get me wrong... chicken skin has its place in the world. Especially, Thai-style grilled chicken skin ! But, if the chix is good, it's not worth chasing the skin,  IMO. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    caliking said:

Agree!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .