Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lessons From Thanksgiving

So I learned a bunch this Thanksgiving.

1) I wanted to cook at the house I was going to.  So I learned the Large BGE will fit in the back of our SUV.  And with the pot lifter I can get it in there myself.

2) I used this recipe. https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/bourbon-brined-smoked-spatchcocked-turkey/. Turkey turned out INCREDIBLE.  However I did not wash the turkey after I took it out of the brine.  I think that was a mistake.  Or I over seasoned it.  Eitherway smoke and flavor was great but it was a little salty.

3) Last week I did a test turkey did not brine and I went direct.  Turned out really good but a touch dry.  Then I came upon the above recipe and it said to go indirect so I tried that.  I found the top of the bird the was cooking to fast.  The temp at the top of the breast was like 155 and the bottom was 147.  So I removed the ceramic plate and let it cook another 20 minutes.  That seemed to even things out.

Still the best turkey I have cooked or eaten.  Looking forward to making some salt adjustments.  Photos below:

Comments

• dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    I learned that if you are going to put a 14lb turkey on the Joetisserie, you need to make sure it is centered.  There was too much weight on the "bottom" side for it to spin completely around. I found this after about 45minutes into the cook and one side was already pretty browned.

One more thing, cooking times are less than what you would use for a oven.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    That bird looks great! Good job. 

NW IOWA
  • I bet your family/friends love to see you rolling in with egg in tow!
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • After doing this I actually think it would be great to have a trailer mount that would hold the egg safely.  Something that had an arm on it that would allow the stand to lower to get the egg and then raise up so it cleared driveways when you were driving.  Also if it was far enough away from the car the heat would not effect the paint would be nice.  something like this.
  • Which Jonas Brother are you? 🤣

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• The one with no musical talent, who likes to BBQ.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Did a Thanksgiving luncheon for the office last week, and snagged the carcass of the smoked turkey. Simmered it on the stove for a few hours, and made about a gallon of stock. 

This turned out to be the pro move. Took maybe 10 mins to make the gravy on Wed night. Had enough stock to make the stuffing. The smoked stock added  great, smokey flavor, without being overpowering. And, I still have some left to make gumbo with. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • “Did a Thanksgiving luncheon for the office last week, and snagged the carcass of the smoked turkey. Simmered it on the stove for a few hours, and made about a gallon of stock.”

food nerd says what?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    “Did a Thanksgiving luncheon for the office last week, and snagged the carcass of the smoked turkey. Simmered it on the stove for a few hours, and made about a gallon of stock.”

food nerd says what?
    "what?" =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Not my idea, but a buddy posted it and it's brilliant.  He put the turkey gravy into an insulated travel mug with a flip-top; he said it was still piping hot at the end of the meal!
    In my younger days I didn't quit eating because I was full; I quit eating because the gravy was cold.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    1. I prepared two turkeys for our first post-pandemic-everyone's-vaccinated-but-let's-still-be careful Thanksgiving.  I grilled one on Wednesday, carved it, and put it in an aluminum pan with some of the drippings over top.  The crispy skin was lost, but that turkey, warmed up, was as good as fresh. 

2. The second turkey I grilled on Thanksgiving morning.  It was 20 degrees (F) cooler on Thursday with a stiff wind from the West.  I spun the egg three times so the "cool" side changed.  It was amazing that inside the egg, the west side of the turkey was cooking slower.  It took 40 minutes longer to get to temp for the same sized bird, in the colder conditions.

I learned a lot this Thanksgiving.  I will probably drink enough over the next three days to forget most of it by next year, but maybe this post will remind me.

Could you guys bump this about 11/18/22 or so?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • caliking said:
    Did a Thanksgiving luncheon for the office last week, and snagged the carcass of the smoked turkey. Simmered it on the stove for a few hours, and made about a gallon of stock. 

This turned out to be the pro move. Took maybe 10 mins to make the gravy on Wed night. Had enough stock to make the stuffing. The smoked stock added  great, smokey flavor, without being overpowering. And, I still have some left to make gumbo with. 
    Thats the way to use the entire animal. Nice job
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I did the same with my carcus.  I had to make a vegetarian soup today for my sister and really resisted using my turkey stock. I was afraid she would notice so popped a box a veggie stock.