Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vaccine

Options
Is anyone attempting to create a real vaccine? One that works like the small pox vaccine or polio vaccine? I haven’t heard anything about a more effective vaccine, completely out of my element here but it seems like the “vaccine” we have now helps and was developed really fast, but given the amount of time that has passed are we working on something better?  How does our vaccine stack up compared to India or other countries solutions. Is the whole world using mRNA tech?
South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Hoo-Boy. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    All of the vaccine makers are working on vaccines aimed at the variants , trying for more breadth. I haven’t seen Novovax approved yet though it is promising. 
    India is mainly making a licensed version of AstroZeneca though they have a conventional vaccine as well . Maybe Cali can tell us how it is working. 
    China’s vaccines ? Well the best that can be said is better than nothing. 
    Russia has a version made similar to J&J or AZ. Better than the Chinese but no data on how long it lasts. 
    Pretty much the only European vaccine is Pfizer. 
    All of this is a summation of my opinion of a lot of videos and articles that I have seen.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Again not knocking the vaxx but my extended family fully vaccinated husband and wife were sick for a month and still recovering, neighbors are vaxxed, sick and recovering, swmbo friend is vaxxed and boostered and she is sick but recovering.  I’m going to throw it out there, I don’t think masks are the solution to our future, maybe a vaccine that prevents the spread or corona would help.   Seems like it’s time for something to roll out that is a bit more effective.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Seems like someone with more pull than myself would say this “vaccine” is great but we can do better 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    dont think im going to wait on something more conventional. im in the most vaxed state and everything is moving in the wrong direction yet again. moderna booster next week if i can get an appointment, pfizer is pretty much a walkin shot. i know five lately with the delta variant, they all were unvaxed, you dont want that variant and the recovery is alot longer. of the five, one will get the vaccine, people are so stubborn
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Is anyone attempting to create a real vaccine? One that works like the small pox vaccine or polio vaccine? I haven’t heard anything about a more effective vaccine, completely out of my element here but it seems like the “vaccine” we have now helps and was developed really fast, but given the amount of time that has passed are we working on something better?  How does our vaccine stack up compared to India or other countries solutions. Is the whole world using mRNA tech?
    It’s interesting that you mention the polio vaccine.  I think many people (myself included) forgot that for the polio vaccine to work well, the protocol is FOUR shots.  I think that’s pretty standard these days - kids get it four times before they’re considered effectively immunized against polio.

We’re still figuring out what the right protocol is for the covid vaccines.  It might end up being a three or four shot protocol in the end.  And we are also figuring out how durable the immunity is.  It may be the case that we need an annual shot, like the current influenza vaccine.

As for someone working on an improvement I haven’t heard anything.  But it’s tough to beat 95% efficacy against serious illness and death.  If that doesn’t turn out to have durability once the protocol is fully established then maybe we’ll see something new.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Anything that requires boosters is not a vaccine, just a flu shot ....
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Hansm said:
    Really?  I am learning stuff here every day!

Options
    Makes me wonder if some of my relatives found their way onto the site. 
    In other news my cousin is now in intensive care with Covid pneumonia. She will be facing long odds due to comorbidities that I won’t go into. Probably saw all of the other relatives get over Covid 1.0 within two weeks and didn’t go to the doctor quickly enough.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    In other news my cousin is now in intensive care with Covid pneumonia. She will be facing long odds due to comorbidities that I won’t go into. Probably saw all of the other relatives get over Covid 1.0 within two weeks and didn’t go to the doctor quickly enough.
    Yikes, sorry man.  The ICU with covid pneumonia is no joke.  I hope she manages to pull through.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Hansm said:
    Tetanus, polio, among others, all say hello my friend.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Yikes, sorry man.  The ICU with covid pneumonia is no joke.  I hope she manages to pull through.
    Thanks. She hasn’t had an easy life with out going into her private life much. She was having muscle spasms and had to be put out to put an IV in. 3 of us cousins were born within 2 weeks including her and me.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    On other news I had to have my doctors visit this morning by cell phone even though I was already in the clinic parking lot. My doctors daughter came down with Covid even though fully vaccinated. My doctor didn’t know if she was infected and didn’t want to possibly infect her patients.

In “better” news my niece only has the flu. She should be able to make her flight back overseas where her job has her stationed. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Sorry to hear @Gulfcoastguy

There’s not much you can legally do about relatives not under your power of attorney.  

I’m sure you tried, hoping for the best…
    Hansm said:
    Hello…..the flu shot is a vaccine
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Jsphipps said:
    Hansm said:
    Hello…..the flu shot is a vaccine
    Uhmm... welcome to the forum, Jsphipps, I guess?  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Rolling it hot.  As it should be with this topic!
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the non controversial thread journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.