Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time brisket

Options
lafromla1
lafromla1 Posts: 18
edited November 2021 in EggHead Forum
First time doing a brisket on a LBGE. Did a lot of research and got caught up in the horror stories of how long some took.  Had a 9 pound packer and prepped it the night before. Coated with olive oil and used a great beef rub that was cracked pepper heavy. 

Woke up early and got the egg up to 275 pretty quickly using Jealous Devil lump considering it was 37 degrees outside at 4am. While it was getting to temp I had put the conveggtor in the oven at 200 so it wouldn’t be a heat sink when I put it in. Added two large handfuls of BGE Applewood chips and in the drip pan put a 1.5 medium gatorade sized bottles of water and a kids lunch sized apple juice.  Put the meat in and the temp dropped to 225. waited till the temp locked in at 245 and went to play hockey. 

At 9:30 check the bark and it was perfect, so flipped it and checked the IT.  It was already at 165.  Strange it got up so quickly.  Left it unwrapped for about another hour to get the fat cap a little browned then wrapped it in butcher paper for another hour and a half.  IT was showing 201 - 206 in the flat (point was a little higher).  Took it off the egg and let it rest for about 4 hours.  

Total cook time was about 8 hours. I was worried that it went too quickly but everyone loved it including my wife that doesn’t like smoked meats. Can’t wait to do another.  

After living on both coasts, I've made my way back to the mid-west, Illinois to be exact.  

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    That looks phenomenal.  Great execution.  Don't slack off on the details on the next one - avoid the sophomore slump.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lafromla1
    Options
    Thanks.  Understood.  Might use a tequila lime rub next time in a smaller one to see how it comes out.  

Main thing I learned is cook to IT and not time.  Have a javelin duo that was recommended by many in this group. 
    After living on both coasts, I've made my way back to the mid-west, Illinois to be exact.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Great cook right there.  When the consumers enjoy it, you win, every time.  
    Exceptional smoke ring for a BGE cook as well.  
    Regarding horror stories always remember, "The friggin cow drives the cook."  Using a 10 lb post-trim packer as the benchmark here I have seen them finish in anywhere from 7.5-15 hrs, same temperature range 250-275*F.  There are things you can do to speed the cook or slow it down, but those data points were not manipulated by me during the cook.  You never know...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.