Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Better gloves/mittens

Options
About an hour ago I burn the sh*t out of my right hand making fajitas. Don't have plancas, but an excellent set of lodge cast iron.  I was taking the small perfectly seasoned skillet that I was cooking the peppers , onions and shrooms off the top level of my 5 piece Eggspander and POW.....  Mittens were dry and pretty new, maybe 3 months. Burned palm, knuckle pads and index finger bad enough to be having a couple of 8.5% DIPA .... The mittens are Weber !  I am so p*ssed that I am contemplating making a pile of Weber cr*ap at the curb, I mean anything I have that says Weber on it...  Looking for recommendations on good grilling gloves,  mittens are not dexterous enough, injury not withstanding ...
LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    You will likely find more info that you will ever need right here thru the forum search function.  Enter "grilling gloves" and sit back and read away.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Thanks ....

• EzraBrooks
    Options
    I use welder's gloves that are elbow length.  No problem handling anything plus protects forearm hair from back drafts.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Not sure of the brand, but I received a pair of blue gloves from my wife that she got from ACE. They look like super heavy duty cotton garden gloves.  I will look tomorrow. They have been wonderful. Before that though I just used regular old oven mitts. Never had a problem removing platesetters or cast iron with them. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Amazon….fryer gloves
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    just be careful that what you get will work in wet conditions. Many glove options work fine if everything is dry, but if wet…
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    just be careful that what you get will work in wet conditions. Many glove options work fine if everything is dry, but if wet…
    I agree and am telling this sorry tale from personal, painful experience…for years I have owned and used a brand of high heat gloves (ORKA brand both mitten style ad 14” long sleeve style. They were rated at 500 degrees and they were fine, but once and ONLY ONCE had stupidly poured a little bit of water into each glove before trying to lift out a hot plate sitter and pizza stone. The intense heat suddenly turned that water into INTENSE skin burning steam searing my fingers! .
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hansm
    Options
    Mitts were dry as a bone, the Weber gloves are in the trash bin. I used oven mitts from the kitchen last night to handle ripping hot lodge cast iron. No problem at all. Will get some gloves today, better dexterity with gloves.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I use a pair of firefighter gloves. You can find them online at a fire company supplier. They are expensive (around $100). but they are designed to protect you from the heat. I can handle cast iron pans, platesetters, live charcoal without a problem. 

If you have a relationship with your local fire department, you may be able to get a used pair for a relatively small donation. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Hansm
    Options
    I had some ACE cash in my rewards. I bought a pair of Eggmitts and Lodge handle covers, like little sock pot holders.  I should be fine now
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Hard Core Carnivore sells a pretty nice set of grilling gloves.  Keep an eye out, last year they went to half price for Black Friday, which made them about $10.  A steal!

I've been able to pull my c.i. pan in and out of my Ooni without burnt fingers.

Also, gives you an excuse to watch vids of Jess Pryles cooking and she's sorta, kinda cute.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    scdaf said:
    Hard Core Carnivore sells a pretty nice set of grilling gloves.  Keep an eye out, last year they went to half price for Black Friday, which made them about $10.  A steal!

I've been able to pull my c.i. pan in and out of my Ooni without burnt fingers.

Also, gives you an excuse to watch vids of Jess Pryles cooking and she's sorta, kinda cute.
    Yesss... I've seen her, very nice rack......of ribs, you perverts!