Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin Tip for Pulled Beef

Options
Found a decent sirloin tip whole roast (14.5 lbs) at Costco a couple weeks back, decided to try a low and slow smoke to see if I could make it into pulled beef. Trimmed up, then for the dry rub I used a pre-mix blend of spices called "Fire Rub" (https://fireinthekitchen.ca/products/fire-rub ), its pretty heavy on sea salt and pepper with some chipotle and cayenne. Did an overnight smoke for this one, Royal Oak (about 1/2 inch above the fire box line) with some mesquite chunks. Got a fire going in the Egg stabilized temp to 250F, conveggtor with grill on raised direct, and placed a foil tray with water under the grill. Meat went on at about 9pm after searing all sides in frying pan. Checked temps a few times overnight with a wireless thermometer, the Egg dome temp did stay fairly consistent at 250F, got up to spritz the meat twice (cider vinegar, bourbon and Worcestershire sauce). Dome temp did dip to 225F once, had to adjust vents. Took quite a while for internal meat temp to increase, early morning 6am temp was only around 150F. I decided not to wrap, kept with spritzing every couple of hours. My target of 200F internal temp was not reached until about 12noon so about a 15 hour smoke. At this point, I wrapped in foil / towel and put in cooler for a few hours until dinner. The sirloin did pull very easily by hand, quite tasty! Slightly dry but not overly so. I would consider cooking again only thing I might do differently is wrap at about 150F or so to retain more moisture.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.  That's a great cook.  I've got a 3.8 pound bone-in slice in my freezer and I've been thinking about pulling it, rather than cooking it like a steak.  It's wagyu/angus so it may have a little more fat than yours.  With that said, your experience and guidance to wrap early are appreciated.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great post and photos. Thanks
    A little Au Jus poured over at the end and your golden.
    I think your cook was spot on.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Great cook and documentation right there.  Way to adapt to the cook as it progressed.  Congrats.
    But I cannot let the following pass w/o comment- "spritz the meat twice (cider vinegar, bourbon and Worcestershire sauce). "  =)   I am quite sure given the cook that the bourbon was bottom-shelf at best!! =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Don't knock bottom-shelf bourbon!  It's easy to reach after you fall off the stool.
  • Jimmy99s
    Options
    Hard to get good bourbon up here in Canada, used this one, pretty run of the mill I believe    :i_dunno:

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    all in all, still a nice looking result!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap