Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does your evening prep/cook routine change with the arrival of Standard time? (x AZ and HI)

Options
I adjust to the earlier arrival of darkness with more lighting but still generally plan for grocery consumption in the 7-8 PM (EST) hour (as has been the case for many years).  Others? 
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Cap, nothing really changes for me as far as doing things. With that said I prefer this time 100 to 1 over the other time. I just seem to feel better. Always preferred standard time. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited November 2021
    Options
    No, not really. The only time I notice any change is like tonight that cocktail hour seemingly started an hour later…but I guess that was OK as it started an hour earlier this Spring! 

Some things in life kinda balance out don’t they? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    @RRP- I get it but if timing by daylight, you can grab an extra hour now!   :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @RRP- I get it but if timing by daylight, you can grab an extra hour now!   :)
    I hear you, but I worked my butt off this afternoon blowing leaves and mowing my grass down short! Also picked up and burnt a bunch of sticks 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    i hate the clock change, it will be dark around 4 pm when im locking up and heading home. makes it easy to just skip dinner
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    i hate the clock change, it will be dark around 4 pm when im locking up and heading home. makes it easy to just skip dinner
    Me too. Just leave it at DST year round. As for a routine schedule, I have none. More often than not, I eat dinner after dark even in mid summer.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options
    as for an extra hour of sleep, i was up at 3 this morning instead of 4
    fukahwee maine

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Had pendant lights installed over my grills in late spring while new landscape lighting was being installed.   I’m finally getting to use them!
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I was harvesting organic beans last night so I was shut down a hour early and got to eat dinner.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I don't understand the controversy. Some like Daylight, some like Standard. I say compromise. Next spring we move our clocks ahead 1/2 hour. Everybody will be happy!. Yeah, right, everybody will be pissed. This country can't compromise on anything.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Yno said:
    I don't understand the controversy. Some like Daylight, some like Standard. I say compromise. Next spring we move our clocks ahead 1/2 hour. Everybody will be happy!. Yeah, right, everybody will be pissed. This country can't compromise on anything.

i would be good with moving it forward 3 hours in the spring and all of the nfl played at 1pm eastern standard on sundays
    fukahwee maine

• Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Nope, just turn on out side light 
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Tip2Tip
    Tip2Tip Posts: 100
    Options
    Biggest change for me is I try to choke my chicken before dinner instead of after.  
    California
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Nope, daylight savings time does not impact when I eat dinner or breakfast.  It does impact my meeting times with clients though.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Let there be light!

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    No the kids are always hungry.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Recycling a year old thread as there are many new forum participants.
    SOSDD other than adjusting for the lack of sun light.  Definitely burn more electricity in these times.  
    Time for the US House to pass permanent DST-  Hawaii and AZ may be exempt (IDK).  (Senate already passed the bill).
    Related article linked here-
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/04/politics/congress-daylight-saving-time-permanent/index.html  Cannon fodder on a Sunday-FWIW-

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I hate it. It shouldn’t be dark at 5:30PM. Definitely cuts down on the week night egg cooks
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    No, not really. The only time I notice any change is like tonight that cocktail hour seemingly started an hour later…but I guess that was OK as it started an hour earlier this Spring! 

Some things in life kinda balance out don’t they? 
    In spite of being a year later - no change in my stance nor opinion on this matter! 
  • Botch
    Options
    I really, really want to see the semi-yearly clock changes go away.  BUT, I don't want us to go to DST as the standard, go to Standard Time!!!  Lets get in sync with the rest of the damn planet!  
    And its perfectly fine for schools, businesses, churches, guv'mint offices to shift their hours subsequently (ie "9 to 5" becomes "8 to 4", or the other direction). A bit more costly nationwide up-front, but once it's done, it's done.  Why do we want to have the US become the world's "Arizona irritant", like AZ is to the US, now?  Suck it up, do the right thing, and get it over with!  

• Botch
    Options
    Oh, and a final wtf moment: my computers and phone showed the proper time automatically this morning, and I reset my two wall clocks and microwave manually.  This afternoon I had to hop in the car for some groceries (four items for $20, another WTFF thread) and my car said it was 2:15, and my traditional watch said 3:15; I hadn't set either of them, and had no idea which one was correct.  I wasn't aiming for a Happy Hour or anything, so no harm done, but wth.  

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited November 2022
    Options
    The only change to my routine is that I will flip on the outside light from here on out when grilling supper.  I egg year-round, no matter what the clock or thermometer says.  The thermometer only changes how long I stand by the grill.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    edited November 2022
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I hate it. It shouldn’t be dark at 5:30PM. Definitely cuts down on the week night egg cooks

sunset just dropped down to 4:25 here, will soon be dark for my 4oclock commute. i hate this time change. i want to see it spring forward 3 hours
    fukahwee maine

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Recycling a year old thread as there are many new forum participants.
    SOSDD other than adjusting for the lack of sun light.  Definitely burn more electricity in these times.  
    Time for the US House to pass permanent DST-  Hawaii and AZ may be exempt (IDK).  (Senate already passed the bill).
    Related article linked here-
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/04/politics/congress-daylight-saving-time-permanent/index.html  Cannon fodder on a Sunday-FWIW-

This is our final fall back an hour in CA. Next spring we go to permanent GMT - 7
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    The time change doesn't impact my cooking habits, but weather changes do.  As it becomes colder, we make soups, stews, braises, etc. more regular menu items and that tends to mean more cooking indoors and using the oven/slow cooker/IP.    

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    Options
    beverage time starts earlier when you lose power at 4 on the weekdays

fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    All my dumb clocks stayed the correct time.  All, my "smart clocks" adjusted for daylight savings time.  I still haven't figured out how to fix them.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin