Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

End Of Outage Celebratory Meal

Options
I’ve been working 72 hour weeks for the last 5 weeks for a refueling outage at work. My last day was today, so I decided to have a celebratory meal. 

Some grass-fed picanha from 8 o’clock Ranch, oven roasted herb potatoes, and steamed broccoli. It will be washed down with a bottle of Duckhorn Merlot.  Unfortunately I don’t have any Brazilian Rum to make caipirinhas. More pics to follow.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Hell yea! Congrats! You definitley earned this fantastic meal. Following. 
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Congrats and looks like your in for a great meal.
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nice Mike!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Awesome post
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Great cook right there. Congrats on getting the outage in the rear view mirror.  
    Fortunately you young guys can still make that level of effort happen.   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    It would taste great any day, I'm sure, but after the stretch you've had I'm sure it even takes it up another notch. Enjoy the well deserved reward.
    Stillwater, MN
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Looks good thanks for the turnaround, keep that baby running 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    So we are a 2 unit site and I work at Unit 3. During Unit 2 outages I work as a Refuel Team Shift Supervisor. It is very cool to lift a 140 ton reactor pressure vessel head, and put it on the head stand, where there is only 2” of clearance between the head and some interference.

I’m also amazed that we have a machine that stretches a 6” diameter, 4 1/2’ long stud that weighs 700 lbs. It only stretches the stud .050”, but the resultant torque is 1.8M ft-lbs. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • CTMike
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Overall the meal was fantastic. Seasoned the picanha with Himalayan sea salt and black pepper - resulted in a very beefy flavor. The coarse chopped chimichurri with red pepper flakes added another depth of flavor. 

Will definitely be doing this again. 

This was the first time using the Joetisserie - definitely recommend

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    CTMike said:
    So we are a 2 unit site and I work at Unit 3. During Unit 2 outages I work as a Refuel Team Shift Supervisor. It is very cool to lift a 140 ton reactor pressure vessel head, and put it on the head stand, where there is only 2” of clearance between the head and some interference.

I’m also amazed that we have a machine that stretches a 6” diameter, 4 1/2’ long stud that weighs 700 lbs. It only stretches the stud .050”, but the resultant torque is 1.8M ft-lbs. 
    You must have a hell of a cheater pipe on that torque wrench.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CTMike
    edited October 2021
    Options
    CTMike said:

You must have a hell of a cheater pipe on that torque wrench.
    It is called a tensioner. Each unit weighs about 3,500 lbs. The system we use is much more high-tech than this, but you get the idea. Basically the tensioner grabs the stud, and uses around 17.5 kPsi hydraulic pressure to stretch the stud, then the nut is run down. 3 tensioners are operated at a time and several passes are made. Pretty cool system. 

https://youtu.be/oU9_dnYkgkw

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Overall the meal was fantastic. Seasoned the picanha with Himalayan sea salt and black pepper - resulted in a very beefy flavor. The coarse chopped chimichurri with red pepper flakes added another depth of flavor. 

Will definitely be doing this again. 

This was the first time using the Joetisserie - definitely recommend
    That is one cut I have not cooked. I hope when I do, it looks a good as that!  
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a load of picanha! 
    Looks mighty good. Enjoy some well -earned time off.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.