Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Smoke Daddy P. I.G. on a Large BGE

Options
Anyone have one?

My kids gave me a big smoke daddy pig for a birthday gift.

I think they saw me watching some cold smoking vids..  Any way, now I get to try it out. 

It has two mounts one for a kamodo and one to drill into a grill. I'll probably do both. 

I'm planning to use it on my pellet to get more smoke  and also planning to cold smoke on the BGE. 

What else? Any one use one for heated cooks in the BGE? 

Tips, comments, suggestions are welcome. 
current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    totally new concept for me  :o
    hope you get some good feed back
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • danhoo
    Options
     Not sure what to smoke. They suggest chips not pellets. 
  • danhoo
    Options

• danhoo
    Options

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    danhoo said:

Next thing you know, BGE will also be making an Egg bong. 
  • danhoo
    Options

• danhoo
    Options
    I'm experimenting with 5 slices of pepper jack cheese 
  • danhoo
    Options
    And I'm using pellets. Mix of mesquite and hickory. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    That's a nice setup.  I need to look into those.  I use the A-maze-in pellet tube to cold smoke hard cheese.  I take all the lump out and just light the tube full of pellets.  

I have done almonds, pretzels, and many different types of cheese.  The gouda and cheddar were my favorite.

After smoking, I seal the cheese for two weeks before consuming.  It tastes like a trash fire smells before that.

The smoke daddy looks interesting.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    That's a nice setup.  I need to look into those.  I use the A-maze-in pellet tube to cold smoke hard cheese.  I take all the lump out and just light the tube full of pellets.  

I have done almonds, pretzels, and many different types of cheese.  The gouda and cheddar were my favorite.

After smoking, I seal the cheese for two weeks before consuming.  It tastes like a trash fire smells before that.

The smoke daddy looks interesting.
    I’m pretty sure we still have one or two in stock never used one personally, but Cody has had one for years. Inventor says to use mostly chips for airflow. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    You must be hiding them well.  I hadn't ever seen one until this post.

We (you) should borrow Cody's and we can demo smoked cheese some weekend now that the weather is turning cooler.  ;)  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    That's interesting. It appears that it would be fairly easy to MacGyver up a workable copy. 
  • danhoo
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I read a bit about starting this and the suggestions are too get the coal on the bottom white hot before adding chips. 

I didn't do this and I think that led to some thick heavy white smoke. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @danhoo my bil has one and he has ruined some cooks with a bellowing white smoke, I tried to tell him it needs to be burning hotter or run the smoke through hot coals to clean it up. I don’t know how he is getting along with it now.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• danhoo
    Options
    I watched a few more videos and I did not start the charcoal correctly.

Looks like the best approach is to start some coal on top of the mesh grate. Get the coal burning good and hot. Add wood chips, then let the smoke stabilize. 

I'm going to try again later today. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    danhoo said:
    I watched a few more videos and I did not start the charcoal correctly.

Looks like the best approach is to start some coal on top of the mesh grate. Get the coal burning good and hot. Add wood chips, then let the smoke stabilize. 

I'm going to try again later today. 
    Taste testing freshly smoked cheese is not a good test for ANY type of smoking method.
    It must have time to chill and mellow out. At least a couple weeks. I can only imagine how terrible those test slices tasted. For a slice of cheese, the smoke from 1 tiny wood chip in a zip loc bag for 5 minutes would do it. Try a real hunk of meat and I bet you will love this device. Will be following!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • danhoo
    Options
    I get it, and next time I'll wrap and age it. 

It was strong and on its own was harsh, but on a bun, with tri tip the neighbor cooked and some mustard, it was OK. 

I didn't spit it out, and had seconds. 

I might do a salmon burger tonight. 

Its just me tonight and I thing all the leftovers are gone. 

I need to see if I have wood chips beside pellets. 

• danhoo
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I tried pellets again for the last time. They simply would not stabilize and produced way too much TWS.

I pulled the lid off the smoke generator and let them torch and burn out. I only used about a cup so it didn't take long. 

I added two small chunks of maple and after about 15 minutes it stabilized to a nice amount of TBS. I put two frozen salmon burgers from Costco on and I'll give them another 30 mins and see. 

I'll probably finish them on the kettle. Temp in the egg is just over 80F
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    danhoo said:
    I tried pellets again for the last time. They simply would not stabilize and produced way too much TWS.

I pulled the lid off the smoke generator and let them torch and burn out. I only used about a cup so it didn't take long. 

I added two small chunks of maple and after about 15 minutes it stabilized to a nice amount of TBS. I put two frozen salmon burgers from Costco on and I'll give them another 30 mins and see. 

Yeah the inventor says pellets just pack too tightly and either smother out or don’t produce good smoke. He said it’s ok to sprinkle some in amongst chips but use primarily chips with the smoke daddy unit. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    danhoo said:

The nice thing about using chips is that it’s all smoke wood. Pellets, even if sold as cherry wood, is mostly tasteless filler wood.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • danhoo
    Options
    Update. I've gotten better and learned to use a little more coal in the smoke daddy and get a fire burning in it first. The smoke gets clean faster.

I've been cold smoking tri tip for an hour with pecan chips. Then I light some coal and get the temp around 200F. And then finish with a reverse sear.

Pics are in reverse order. 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Just wondering overall how you like it and if cheese is coming out good
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • danhoo
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Just wondering overall how you like it and if cheese is coming out good
    I have not attempted cheese again. I need to. 

Pecan smoked tri tip is the one cook I feel I've mastered. 

The cold smoke adds an hour to the cook, yet that hour is worth it. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @danhoo - absolutely perfect!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Yes sir.  Nailed that cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.