Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking a small corned beef

Options
poster
poster Posts: 1,172
edited October 2021 in EggHead Forum
I was only able to find a real small 2lb corned beef to smoke for the weekend. I was hoping for something bigger but couldn't locate any and I don't have the time to corn a brisket. Anyway I was thinking smoke to 150 IT and then in the instant pot for 1/2hr. Most recipes say up to an hour in the pressure cooker, but this thing is pretty thin. Think my plan will work, or should I just sous vide, chill and smoke until warm?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    with one that small, i thing i would just cook it stove top til done, slice it and make the equivalent corned beef sandwich. if it were a point corned beef i might smoke it but im betting its a flat. local butcher here sells corned beef sliced deli style, its good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    If your end game is corned beef, stove topper instapot, if pastrami, smoke it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Been there, done that. Soak it for a couple hours to pull some salt out of it. Cold smoke it for 4 hours on a Little Chief or similar. Roast on the Egg at 275* until the internal is about 200*. The last couple hours should be wrapped in foil. Let it rest 30 minutes minimum if eating hot. The best approach is to throw the foiled beef in the fridge overnight and slice thin the following day for the best sammies on the planet. 
    Michiana, South of the border.