Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Initial burn in LG BGE

Options
Howdy,  My LG BGE is being delivered Wednesday from ACE hardware. I want to do a quick burn to get used to it before I do a cook. I have about 1/2 a bag of jealous devil.  I do not like the taste it puts in the food, well at least with a Weber Kettle. Would this be suitable for the first burn? Will it leave a taste in the grill or should I use some FOGO or Blueshog?
LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    "I have about 1/2 a bag of jealous devil.  I do not like the taste it puts in the food, well at least with a Weber Kettle. Would this be suitable for the first burn?"

Yes.

"Will it leave a taste in the grill or should I use some FOGO or Blueshog?"

No.  It will only leave a taste in the egg if you use lighter fluid or gasoline to light it.  (Note:  Just to be clear, if you do that, it still won't be the charcoal that leaves a taste, it will be the lighter fluid or gasoline).

The only thing that I can think of people commonly burning out of their egg to improve flavor on the next cook is the drippings from a particularly fatty cook that was cooked low and slow so the drippings didn't burn - like 2 pork shoulders.  Cooking poultry when the egg is full of pork fat can impact the taste.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Show us some pics of your first cook!

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I don't use JD, but it will be fine. It won't contaminate the egg so to speak. It is important to let any charcoal burn off the VOCs before you start cooking and get rid of that "bad smoke".
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The most critical element of this first burn will be an ample supply of your preferred beverage. 

Pour the lump in. Light it up. Set the top and bottom vents at whatever positions. Turn on some tunes. Pour your beverage. 

Then, sit back, and let it go. Every now and then change a vent position a bit, and see what happens to the temp. That’s your learning curve. 

Enjoy!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    big thing with the bge is getting the lump to burn clean, it has to smell clean before food goes in. use the jd lump, get it to 300 dome temp, smell it, let it burn another 20 minutes, smell it again. if it smells clean, throw some chicken on. the fire is smaller in the egg than in the kettle, those stinky VOC's need to be burned off. dont even google jealous devil, your inbox will be full of their sales adds
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    All great info above and welcome! Might want to check the dome thermometer just to make sure it's calibrated. Also, BGE suggests running at a lower temp for the initial burn 350 or so. I think that is more for the gasket than anything.
    LBGE
    AL
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Sounds like the perfect use for charcoal you don't like anyway.
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    I will give the JD a spin and take recommendations from all on the clean smoke and no VOC. I am thinking that the Weber Kettle is meant more for briquettes than lump. Will try some wings, burgers and dawgs ..
  • Hansm
    Options
    This may be a 3 or 4 beer experiment  =)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    Hansm said:
    This may be a 3 or 4 beer experiment  =)

that plan will work. you want to waft the fumes from the upper vent with your hand and smell it, it should smell clean. without smoking wood in there you shouldnt see much smoke if anything coming from the top vent
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    All great info above and welcome! Might want to check the dome thermometer just to make sure it's calibrated. Also, BGE suggests running at a lower temp for the initial burn 350 or so. I think that is more for the gasket than anything.
    Exactly what I was going to say ... the first burn or two should be low temperature ... so my first few cooks were ribs at 275F! 
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Regarding adult supervisory beverages and the BGE: house rules- light the fire, time for a beverage.  Food on-time for a beverage, then as wanted/needed to maintain proper hydration throughout the cook duration and FTC.  All above are time-of-day independent.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hansm
    Options
    LG BGE delivered,  doing a burn right now at 300 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Are you following BGE house rules? It's early but...

Enjoy!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Hansm
    Options
    yepp .... had a few ....

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Enjoy the journey…….      Hide your wallet!  Just saying.

oh and pics or it didn’t happen
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    My egg doesn’t even work without a beer. It’s simply won’t light. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Hansm
    Options

• Hansm
    Options
    I ran some Jealous Devil for 5 hours at a 300 degree burn for break-in. I dumped out the JD and replaced with Blueshog to cook. I just do not like the smell of the JD  , I stoked it up to 450 briefly, the smoke was white/clear. Just do not like it. Blueshog worked well in the kettle. And is far less expensive than JD or Fogo. Although Fogo is expensive,  I will buy again.

https://blueshog.com/ 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Here's a good website to bookmark:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hansm
    Options
    WOW .... thanks. So much charcoal, so little time
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    @Hansm, have you tried Rockwood?  Great lump, very neutral, and the guy is a member here.  Depending on where you live, your ACE store may have it.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Hansm
    Options
    Rockwood is on my next list. I have started bags of FOGO, Blueshog. The Jealous Devil is going in the fire pit tonight. I have full bags of BGE Maple and oak/hickory. The only way out of this is grill grill grill ...  =)
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    That's an awful problem you have there!  But, after seeing your first cook, I am betting you will work through it.  If you need a support group, we are here for you!
    Clinton, Iowa