Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uneven baby backs

Options
I've been struggling with getting my baby back ribs to come out as I want them. I used to do a modified version of the 3-2-1 method where I went 3-0:45-1 at about 275 which worked for me for a while, but I don't know if my tastes have changed or if my results are just worse but now doing them that way just seems to make things falling off the bone and overcooked.

So yesterday I experimented with a straight-forward low and slow at 250 and no foil. After about 5 hours I tried the toothpick test, and I thought they all passed, taking several tests from each rack. However upon eating it felt like the thinner pieces of the rib were overcooked and fall off the bone, but the thicker side was not tender enough.  I would think that would mean that the thicker part still needed to be cooked longer...but that would just overcook the other side of the same slab more. And by other side I mean the ends of each individual rib bone.

Any hints on getting consistent doneness? I didn't move the ribs at all, no flipping or repositioning.  Should I?

The wife hates spares so if I want to keep eating pork ribs I need to figure this out.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited October 2021
    Options
    i move/flip mine during the cook but most of the cook is done with the thicker end towards the hinge where its hotter. also i switched to spares, easier and better flavor, also cook the smallest spares i can find
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Like fish said try spares. Also I have never understood the advantage of not cutting a rack in half - in fact I think it is a disadvantage leaving them whole! Two halves are easier to arrange and cook more uniformly! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    There are a lot of variations between various racks of ribs.  No rack is the same.  So it doesn't make sense to expect the same amount of time or approach (3-2-1 or whatever) to yield consistent results.  

As others have pointed out, you're probably seeing the effects of the back of the BGE being hotter than the front.  Differences in temperatures will yield differences in levels of done-ness across the rack, but so too will differences in how meaty the rack is.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I cook only spare ribs and two whole racks at a time. I like to follow 3-2-1 in spirit but not in absolute timing. The wrap in foil is a good way to even out the cook in my experience.

Maybe try spares again and see if you can get the wife onboard.
    Mountain View, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    For those who cook spares, I presume you are talking the true spare rack and not trimmed St Louis cut with the flap meat removed??
    Another near-term audible is to switch to beef back ribs.  Takes the pork out of the picture.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I cook St. Louis style trimmed spares. I've made rib tips with the flap and some of the top meat depending on where I source the ribs from.
    Mountain View, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    For those who cook spares, I presume you are talking the true spare rack and not trimmed St Louis cut with the flap meat removed??
    Another near-term audible is to switch to beef back ribs.  Takes the pork out of the picture.  =)

i see them mostly trimmed but its 50/50 for the flap to be removed. paying top dollar for that piece ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    RRP said:
    Like fish said try spares. Also I have never understood the advantage of not cutting a rack in half - in fact I think it is a disadvantage leaving them whole! Two halves are easier to arrange and cook more uniformly! 
    This. Cut the slab into four-rib individual racks. Doesn’t speed the cooking, but makes managing them during the cook, and serving, easier
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I've been struggling with getting my baby back ribs to come out as I want them. I used to do a modified version of the 3-2-1 method where I went 3-0:45-1 at about 275 which worked for me for a while, but I don't know if my tastes have changed or if my results are just worse but now doing them that way just seems to make things falling off the bone and overcooked.

So yesterday I experimented with a straight-forward low and slow at 250 and no foil. After about 5 hours I tried the toothpick test, and I thought they all passed, taking several tests from each rack. However upon eating it felt like the thinner pieces of the rib were overcooked and fall off the bone, but the thicker side was not tender enough.  I would think that would mean that the thicker part still needed to be cooked longer...but that would just overcook the other side of the same slab more. And by other side I mean the ends of each individual rib bone.

Any hints on getting consistent doneness? I didn't move the ribs at all, no flipping or repositioning.  Should I?

The wife hates spares so if I want to keep eating pork ribs I need to figure this out.
    Frustrating, ain't it, Ezra?   ;)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Loin ribs usually suck. Not enough fat, and like an unlevel chicken breast, it cooks bad. Gotta beat the meat. 

Stick to spares, and if the wife doesn’t like them, then see the chicken above. 😂
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Memphis is a baby back town.  Generally, pit master here cook them at 275 for around 3 1/2 to 4 hours and mop often throughout the cook once the bark sets.  Mops are usually just ACV and AJ.  

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    The "3-2-1" method you mention is used for spares. Baby backs typical are the "2-2-1" method. That's also too long. It's probably closer to "2-1-.5" with baby backs. Give or take. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • carl292
    carl292 Posts: 44
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Dont over think it!  First off make sure your dome thermometer is accurate. 
    For me its 250 dome temp for 3 hrs. Do not peek or open for those 3 hrs. When 3 hrs is up open and rotate quickly and look at them in another 1 hr. Mine take 4.5 to 5 hrs and they are perfect for us.