Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA from either your favorite or unfavorite veterinarian

Options
This is a Pissed off Service Announcement 

Guys when the time comes to have to euthanize your pet. Don't be the individual or family member that walks away when the hard time comes..because its "too hard"..suck it up and be there.

Its disheartening shift after shift when people use that excuse and it's also not fair to your veterinarian..
Often times we're the ones that have set up with them all night with them in pain, from the broken bones, the cancer that's eating away their insides, the trouble breathing from congestive heart failure, 

Only to watch them light up and see their demeanor change as you pay your last visit...for you to the. Walk off with your back turned as they look at us suddenly scared and confused..leaving us to try and console them and fill a roll we never can...we're there with not only their physical pain but also their emotional pain as well watching them trying to process what is happening...

That last one is a roll we shouldn't have to fill, nor do we really want to....

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    8 years ago I I sat on the floor with my Boxers head in my lap. The poor young vet , I think it was her first time to euthanize. I made a promise to my girl when she chose me. I also wouldn’t let her be constantly scared and confused from brain tumor induced seizures. I took her home and dug her grave myself.
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    I can't believe people do that. With my dog we had 17 great years and one awful day. It is hard but I could never let her go it alone.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    took a while but i talked the vet into coming outside to the truck one time, they did not want to do that at all
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I can't imagine doing that, but I'm sure there are some people who are so attached to their pets that they just can't bear to watch them be euthanized.

What they're probably not appreciating is what you're describing at the end there, that the pet will suddenly be afraid.  If the vet explains that's what will happen and they still walk away, well... some people don't deserve to have pets.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I’m not a pet person.  But even I wouldn’t do that.  Especially since my sister’s our vet.  We have a dog for Wilma and the girls.  It’s old and sick.  It has two paws in the grave and the other two in banana peel slippers.  When it goes, they will be very sad.  

Out of respect for their feelings, I won’t exclaim “Yippee!!  No more dogsh!t in the yard!”
    Flint, Michigan
  • danguba78
    Options
    This definitely hits home, as our 13-year-old bulldog is now in “palliative” stage of cancer.  Four kinds of cancer, actually.  When the time comes, we’re likely going to use of those in-home veterinary euthanasia services.  I don’t know who dreads it more—me, who who grew up with dogs and knows what’s coming, or my my wife, for whom this is her first dog.  Either way, this period sucks, and hard as it is, I want to be there for my friend one last time.  

Obligatory pic of dog and egg:

Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Your thoughts, plus taking the time to share them, tell me you chose the correct profession.
    Like others have posted, I can't fathom the situation you describe.  That is breaking a trust relationship.
    Our veterinarian office will make a home visit to euthanize.  My subjective experience is this is beneficial in a multi-dog household, allowing the other dogs to see their buddy is gone, instead of wondering why they are no longer around.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have done it both ways. They both suck for the owner. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    I've held two and one day a third....
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mrs.C will be buried with the ashes of all three
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    We had to pay extra to be with our dog when he was euthanized. I paid it.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I didn't have to pay extra, but they asked me if I wanted to pay/paperwork before the final injection, which I did.  
    Vet told me, after the shot, to spend as much time as necessary, and he left the room.  I appreciated that.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Botch said:
    I didn't have to pay extra, but they asked me if I wanted to pay/paperwork before the final injection, which I did.  
    Vet told me, after the shot, to spend as much time as necessary, and he left the room.  I appreciated that.  
    My vet didn’t charge me at all. She offered cremation by a third party for $200 but I chose to bury her in her favorite sunny spot.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't know how you do it.  A friend just sent me a message about an investment property she bought.  She bought it a few days ago and just went to check on some things.  The fvcking owners left their dog in a crate in the house.  Never told anyone.  Thankfully, she found it before it died of dehydration.  And thankfully she also found it a home.

The problem with this world is the people.  WTF.
    I’m not a pet person, but there’s a special place in hell for people like that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Coastal_OReggON
    Options
    caliking said:
    I couldn't agree more.  Humans can be so disappointing.  

@DuckDogDr I'm so sorry that you have to see such heartbreaking things like that.  It takes a special person to do all that you do.  Thank you for being there for our four legged family members.
    Curry County, OR
    LBGE
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    caliking said:
    I don't know how you do it.  A friend just sent me a message about an investment property she bought.  She bought it a few days ago and just went to check on some things.  The fvcking owners left their dog in a crate in the house.  Never told anyone.  Thankfully, she found it before it died of dehydration.  And thankfully she also found it a home.

The problem with this world is the people.  WTF.
    I kind of like the idea of reincarnation for some of these owners. Let them come back as a dog who spends his life chained to a tree..
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I must be tired, because I read “vegaetarian” rather than “veterinarian.”
  • bella21
    bella21 Posts: 45
    Options
    I was there until the end and after today for my sweet Bella :(
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Heck, I have a cousin who refused to visit his father in the hospital. Same reasoning.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories