Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6 rounds of seasoning carbon steel

22.5" round for my new toy for cooking on the "Big Boy" (XL)
What would be a few good 1st cooks on this?
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    Onions. 

Cheap first cook. They have a little sugar though so expect a little to be left behind. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    danhoo said:
    Onions. 

Cheap first cook. They have a little sugar though so expect a little to be left behind. 
    Think that would leave an onion flavor for the next cook?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Since it is seasoned then go here-paella.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm  
    Mis en place is mandatory.  Enjoy wherever you land.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    loco_engr said:
    danhoo said:
    Onions. 

I don't think so. What will be left behind, if anything will be sugar that will contribute to "seasoning" in my opinion.

My suggestion was also because the first food to hit it might pickup some of the seasoning, and that may or may not be flavor you want.

Or just cook some paella and call it done.

I'm hungry :D
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 288
    edited September 2021
    Pork tenderloin mignons with coffee rub, a pat of butter on the mignons during the rest.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    huh? huh? huh?
    PIZZA of course!!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Smashburgers
    Mountain View, CA
  • I vote breakfast or fajitas. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    loco_engr said:
    danhoo said:
    Onions. 

onion is supposed to pull some of the metallic taste in a cs wok when first seasoning it, i dont think it will hurt anything. maybe start with onion burgers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Show us a cook old man!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    lousubcap said:

But, but, but.....

That's not a paella pan. It's a flat disk. How you gonna get the rice cooked?

Gonna get hot if you leave the dome open while cooking.

• loco_engr
    Photo Egg said:
    Show us a cook old man!
     =)=)=)  . . . hey, respect your elders  :)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • I was going to say, not sure paella makes the most sense for that thing, but given how much real estate you have you could probably pull it off.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • loco_engr
    I was going to say, not sure paella makes the most sense for that thing, but given how much real estate you have you could probably pull it off.
    I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I've never made paella before . . . leaning toward onion burgers right now
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a feeling Scottie (SGH) would have a pretty good idea...
    I have a feeling Scottie (SGH) would have a pretty good idea...
    I'd be interested in his opinion . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • lousubcap
    You can finesse paella on a good even heated relatively thin pan.  Once you give it a go (and likely miss the finish) you will go again and again.
    Paging @SciAggie-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    womaus said:
    lousubcap said:

But, but, but.....

That's not a paella pan. It's a flat disk. How you gonna get the rice cooked?
    The rice would cook fine.  It's everything else that will roll/pour off to the sides, and slip beneath the disk, to be, uh, smoke.  :sad:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lousubcap
    Here I was thinking the limber holes were high enough to make it a possibility.  I did not apply any dimensional analysis.  I will leave the end-game to the chef who has skin in the game.   B)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    loco_engr said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Show us a cook old man!
     =)=)=)  . . . hey, respect your elders  :)
    Always much respect to you my friend!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas