Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon Barrel Wood Chunks

Options
Bourbon Barrel Wood Chunks
10% off 1st order, use code SWINE
When I opened up the 1# bag . . . wow . . . might be able to get a buzz on just from the aroma!
Tell them I sent you . . . won't get a discount, lol, but the owner (Justin)is an Egghead!
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Just got my Blanton’s chunks in Thursday. Amazing aroma
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I have not opened my shipment of Blanton's, EH Taylor and Weller's but I may need to get on with it and capture the essence of the aroma and condense it into a worthy cocktail.  
    Now I find out about the 10%... B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 2BAMBAM4
    Options
    Question on the bourbon barrel staves as opposed to wine barrel staves.   

I'm lucky enough to live near several wineries and can get a whole barrels. The barrels have great aroma, yet the wine never comes through in the cook.   I do get a great oak flavor. 

Is this the same for those using the bourbon staves?  Are you picking up the bourbon in the finished cook or just oak? 

Curious if I should try bourbon barrels...
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Smoking some salmon tonight with hickory and bourbon barrel chunks, be interested to see if bbc flavor come through
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • 2BAMBAM4
    2BAMBAM4 Posts: 64
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @loco_engr
    I know I know not the egg... yet,  it was over fire.   Get a good bunch of rosemary.   Put your salmon skin side down and cook over direct flame.   When 'milk shows on the salmon it's done.. 

Top photo is salmon with my mustard glaze.   The bottom is going on the grill. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    2BAMBAM4 said:
    Question on the bourbon barrel staves as opposed to wine barrel staves.   

I'm lucky enough to live near several wineries and can get a whole barrels. The barrels have great aroma, yet the wine never comes through in the cook.   I do get a great oak flavor. 

Is this the same for those using the bourbon staves?  Are you picking up the bourbon in the finished cook or just oak? 

Curious if I should try bourbon barrels...
    I've had the same experience, and when my Jack Daniels chips ran out, I never got a refill.
    However, I'm still stunned about my recent "tea-smoked cheekun" cook, how much burned spices did flavor the meat (albeit too strongly).  So, I might be revisiting barrel smoking wood.

This ain't a bad way to spend retirement...  :)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• 2BAMBAM4
    Options
    @Botch
    The issue with a retirement like this is..  having to find another hobby to counter this hobby... 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    You mean you shouldn’t just douse your regular wood chunks with Pappy?
  • 2BAMBAM4
    Options
    You mean you shouldn’t just douse your regular wood chunks with Pappy?
    I thought the Pappy was for the cook?