Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on pork tenderloin…

Direct or indirect? I like a little smoke on my pork tenderloin so I was thinking indirect. But charring the tenderloin using direct sounds appealing too. It’s my first tenderloin on an egg so I welcome your thoughts.
BBQ addict...recovering pellet smoker.

Comments

• Direct and somewhere between 145 to 150 internal temp IMO.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Indirect till like 130-135 internal then direct to 140. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I will second the direct approach (rotate around 10-15 minutes into the cook) and high in the dome if you can get there.  I am a fan of pulling any non pork butt in the high 130's-low 140's *F cook temp.  Level of pink driven by your target audience.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Temp depend on if your guests can tolerate a pink center. All of my relatives are of the "incinerator pork" party, I did make some truly excellent ones that we pulled at 145. I had marinated them 24 hours before hand. Unfortunately on a gasser (not at home) but still great.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    danhoo said:
    I"ve been cooking indirect at 250F (grate) 275 dome until internal reaches 130F.

when it hits 130F, I pull it off, remove the platesetter and finish (briefly) direct.  maybe 5 to 10 mins total with glaze on it. Internal is about 140 when I pull it and let it rest before carving.

i was going to say, that's a bit of work for a pork tenderloin, but damn if yours doesn't look farkin' good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • rdsbucks said:
    Direct or indirect? 
    Either way. 

You can have smoke whether direct or indirect. Depends on whether you want grill marks and some char or to be overall dry roasted 

• Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    edited September 2021
    Another vote for raised direct at 400 deg, but I usually cook bacon wrapped pork tenderloins.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    And stuffed with cheese
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    caliking said:
    i was going to say, that's a bit of work for a pork tenderloin, but damn if yours doesn't look farkin' good.
    The only "work"is to pull it and remove the platesetter.  I've also left the platesetter in, raised temp to about 350 to finish off the glaze . I'm not sure it's worth it to do the last step direct, but if nothing else, it helps clean the grill grate.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • caliking said:
    danhoo said:
    I"ve been cooking indirect at 250F (grate) 275 dome until internal reaches 130F.

when it hits 130F, I pull it off, remove the platesetter and finish (briefly) direct.  maybe 5 to 10 mins total with glaze on it. Internal is about 140 when I pull it and let it rest before carving.

It does look great, but I think that’s a pork loin, not a tenderloin.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • You all are beautiful people! This is awesome info. However, I am not sure I have any better idea because both look great. I guess what I am hearing is either one or both will work. Thanks so much!
  • MasterC said:
    Raised direct 

Or raised direct 

Or maybe raised direct 

Sometimes I prefer raised direct.

But that's just me.

How did you season it? Looks amazing!
  • lousubcap
    rdsbucks said:
    You all are beautiful people! This is awesome info. However, I am not sure I have any better idea because both look great. I guess what I am hearing is either one or both will work. Thanks so much!
    As has been said, there are many ways to get there and most likely all will work.  Just pick one and go.  Change it up the next time and see where you land.
    The key is the instant read finish temp in any hot and fast cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i prefer direct for the charring, if its over charring slip some foil under it. 135 internal for me and be ready to pull it quick, they over cook within 30 seconds of done. usually cook loins over tenderloin, with the tenderloin i cut them up for skewers mostly, sizing the pieces to each skewer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Guys, it turned out great! These were not big tenderloins so they got to temp quickly. I glazed them with a maple/bourbon/chipotle glaze from Bass Pro. I also injected them with Cajun Butter. I am thrilled with how the food I have cooked over the years on pellet smokers has tasted on the egg. Better smoke with the addition of some charcoal flavoring. 
  • lousubcap
    @rdsbucks - Thanks for the feedback as the forum doesn't often get that assessment.  Glad it was a success.  
  • lousubcap said:
    @rdsbucks - Thanks for the feedback as the forum doesn't often get that assessment.  Glad it was a success.  
    Lou I do not believe there is any comparison between the two. I will take the Egg all day. Though the pellet smoker is very convenient, the egg is more convenient than I realized.
  • Temp depend on if your guests can tolerate a pink center. All of my relatives are of the "incinerator pork" party, I did make some truly excellent ones that we pulled at 145. I had marinated them 24 hours before hand. Unfortunately on a gasser (not at home) but still great.
    Same here.  My wife won't touch them if there's a bit of pink on the inside for the irrational fear of trichinosis.  :s  
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • Indirect, 275F dome. Hit 140 to 145F ... let rest for only a few minutes ... and you should be good to go. That's how I do it.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
    Same here.  My wife won't touch them if there's a bit of pink on the inside for the irrational fear of trichinosis.  :s  
    Depending on the cut ... I'd think even at 145F it might still be a bit pink, especially if there's any fat there ... have you found 145F is sufficiently de-pinked? LOL.
  • MasterC
    edited September 2021
    rdsbucks said:
    MasterC said:
    Raised direct 

Or raised direct 

Or maybe raised direct 

Sometimes I prefer raised direct.

But that's just me.

How did you season it? Looks amazing!
    First was Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper 

Second was Dizzy Pig Peruvianish and Shigs in Pit bbq sauce 

Third was dried mustard,garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, sage and bay leaf. Salt and pepper 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • @Mark_B_Good - I'm finding that they need to be at least 160F to be pinkless. She does serve a nice creamy horseradish sauce to make them less dry which is something.

XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    My brother used to buy a beef tenderloin and cook it to a beautiful med rare. Mom wouldn't eat it if it was "bloody". Solution... cut off Mom's serving and nuke it briefly. Worked like a charm.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• @Mark_B_Good - I'm finding that they need to be at least 160F to be pinkless. She does serve a nice creamy horseradish sauce to make them less dry which is something.

Pork is a pain, especially when you want to see nothing but grey/brown ... there's too little of a temperature window getting it right, often time they end up going dry for me .... honestly I think the difference between being juicy enough and dry is like a 30 second to 45 second difference in time on the grill.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @Mark_B_Good - I'm finding that they need to be at least 160F to be pinkless. She does serve a nice creamy horseradish sauce to make them less dry which is something.

Pork is a pain, especially when you want to see nothing but grey/brown ... there's too little of a temperature window getting it right, often time they end up going dry for me .... honestly I think the difference between being juicy enough and dry is like a 30 second to 45 second difference in time on the grill.
    Cook it the way you want it and briefly nuke the servings for the ones who want it overcooked. See my post above.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MasterC
    @Mark_B_Good - I'm finding that they need to be at least 160F to be pinkless. She does serve a nice creamy horseradish sauce to make them less dry which is something.

Cook it the way you want it and briefly nuke the servings for the ones who want it overcooked. See my post above.
    They get the end slice.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC said:

They get the end slice.
    That's what I do ... ends are always cooked well enough for "those types of people" .... save the center for myself, and anyone else that knows what a good piece of meat should taste like.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    MasterC said:

They get the end slice.

Sorry, the end slice gets cut off as a chef snack during serving.
    NOLA