Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked tri tip with homemade chimi sauce

Options
Fired up the timberline with some pecan wood for some grass fed reverse seared tri tip. Smoked at 225 until 115. Took it off and rested for 10 min. Finished over a blazing hot bed of coals on the egg. 
It was good, but tri tip sometimes seems chewy to me. I also made a filet and strip to go along with this. Both were better than the tri tip. 

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I make a lot of tri tip and your method is really similar to mine. Mine doesn't turn out chewy with SRF black tri tip. Where do you get your meat?
    Mountain View, CA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks fantastic!
    If I try to hold my Tri Tip to close to rare the center gets chewy. Increase your internal temp a few degrees next time and see if it helps.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @bella21 I find Tritip often chewy.  The best fix for me is 8 hrs in the Sous Vide in the 130’s followed by a hot sear comes out perfect every time.  Our Costco gets prime ones from time to time.  Great cut to easily feed a crowd.  
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Look killer, watch the grain Chimi for the win
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Great bark and finish.  
    As you are aware, every tri-tip is different but here's a decent pic of the grain pattern.  Best to sort the grain pattern before applying the rub and cooking.  Always against the grain, thin and on the bias.  FWIW-
    20170329_Timberline-Tips-Tritip-Against-The-Grain-Infographic_BG
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bella21
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I did make sure I was cutting against the grain. I think as others have noted I pulled it too early. Went 115 then a hit sear. Next time I’ll go a little higher and see what happens.