Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs. My first go at ‘em

Options

6.75lbs from Wild Fork Meats. 

Little red hot sauce for a coating, then kosher salt. 
Cooked them at 285* for 5.5 hrs until they reached 200*internal. Pulled and let rest for 40-50 min. 

Really tasty. 

I’ll break down the rest of the meat later this afternoon and freeze it for some really good stew meat this Fall and Winter. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,043
    Options
    You crushed it! They look awesome. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,489
    Options
    Brisket on a stick right there.  Nailed 'em.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks Crumptacular, my friend. Nicely done. 
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    Awe hell yeah 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,734
    Options
    Those look mighty good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,593
    Options
    Great looking ribs
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    hot sauce coating..... i like!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • iudex
    iudex Posts: 79
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    As someone who has made short ribs, but not (yet) brisket: is this actually true? It see this being tossed around quite often, but I do wonder why I'd bother making brisket when I can just 'own' cooking short ribs (the challenge and victory of making brisket asides, of course :) ).
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,859
    Options
    iudex said:
    lousubcap said:
    As someone who has made short ribs, but not (yet) brisket: is this actually true? It see this being tossed around quite often, but I do wonder why I'd bother making brisket when I can just 'own' cooking short ribs (the challenge and victory of making brisket asides, of course :) ).
    @iudex, this is largely true.  When done properly - as in this post - they taste like the best part of a brisket - not quite as fatty as the point, but more fatty/moist than how most flats turn out.  With that said, don't think about them as being mutually exclusive cooks over the long haul.  They're more like running a half marathon and a marathon.  They are different challenges of different magnitudes for different days.  When you're ready for the brisket challenge, get @lousubcap's document on it and follow it - and then post on here in real time a several of us will help walk you through it as we have done many times before. 

And you can go on the quest for the BBQ holy grail - the moist brisket flat...

But in the current era of small gatherings, sticking with beef ribs for a while could be a good move.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DavidCrumpton
    Options
    I still prefer brisket over ribs. 
    This was just putting another challenge behind me. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,489
    Options
    @iudex - PM sent with some brisket info that may be helpful when you decide to give it a go.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • iudex
    iudex Posts: 79
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @iudex - PM sent with some brisket info that may be helpful when you decide to give it a go.  
    Thanks, well received! I was actually planning on makingy first one in September. One step closer to doing it.