Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork prices

Options
didnt these used to cost about 12 bucks a rack. if they cant afford pork ribs....they can eat corn ribs

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know the prices in your market but there are all kinds of supply chain ripples, global and domestic, that are reverberating from the earlier days of the pandemic.

What we're starting to see now is what I'm calling the second great hoarding wave that is from the highly infectious Delta (and possibly Gamma) variants which are going to hit some areas hard.

When hospitals fill up and plants are shut down because of outbreaks, supply drops, people hoard, supply drops further from artificial demand, price rises further and you're going to see more of these "wtf?" threads about prices.
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know the prices in your market but there are all kinds of supply chain ripples, global and domestic, that are reverberating from the earlier days of the pandemic.

What we're starting to see now is what I'm calling the second great hoarding wave that is from the highly infectious Delta (and possibly Gamma) variants which are going to hit some areas hard.

When hospitals fill up and plants are shut down because of outbreaks, supply drops, people hoard, supply drops further from artificial demand, price rises further and you're going to see more of these "wtf?" threads about prices.

saw a louisiana plate this morning at 5 am on the highway, had to yell....YOURE LOST =) the grocery bill is insane, approaching 200 for the weekend with some leftovers for the week
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I haven't noticed anything weird with prices down here.  I usually buy whatever door-buster deals and in-season specials I see, not much of the targeting specific items unless they're adjunct ingredients to some dish I plan on making.
    Options
    crazy here as well, the pork that comes in from Canada is still $1.79 a pound for full spares 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    crazy here as well, the pork that comes in from Canada is still $1.79 a pound for full spares 

always been high here but now its cazy high. saw a regular trimmed tritip a few weeks back for 35 bucks plus minus, was nothing special grade wise...passed
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    lkapigian said:

always been high here but now its cazy high. saw a regular trimmed tritip a few weeks back for 35 bucks plus minus, was nothing special grade wise...passed
    I have one more wedding coming up and it will be tritip for 200, I am glad I charge my time and current market price on the food @ time of event LOL ..some of these things are a year in advance 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

I have one more wedding coming up and it will be tritip for 200, I am glad I charge my time and current market price on the food @ time of event LOL ..some of these things are a year in advance 

hoping its family style and not small plates at currant market pricing
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

hoping its family style and not small plates at currant market pricing
    always buffet line and we serve, I can  stretch it quite far...sliced cold on a meat slicer them warmed , served with chicken thighs as a option I can get 8-10 servings out of 1 average tri tip --@ home 4-6
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options

theres a hoarded ten pound boneless butt in my freezer from well over a year ago, seems to pricey now too cook.......will have to be a special occasion
    fukahwee maine

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I read an article a couple days ago regarding some legislation that California is pushing.  It was in reference to the fair treatment of animals and how they are raised before we eat them.  Only 4% of the US Pork producers are in line with what Cali would require, therefore the rest will need to conform to sell to Cali.  

Edit - Not the article I read, but here is some info.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/bacon-may-disappear-california-pig-rules-take-effect-n1275685

https://www.latimes.com/california/newsletter/2021-08-05/bacon-california-pig-law-essential-california

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-business-health-california-coronavirus-pandemic-5ebe70407fcd94ef712c16410f32c4b1
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lkapigian
    edited August 2021
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I read an article a couple days ago regarding some legislation that California is pushing.  It was in reference to the fair treatment of animals and how they are raised before we eat them.  Only 4% of the US Pork producers are in line with what Cali would require, therefore the rest will need to conform to sell to Cali.  
    Bacon may be obsolete here in CA until the processors make the conditions more " friendly" before the slaughter ...they have to revamp ....I hate living here sometimes 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    MA has the highest per capita GNP, yeah, that usually says high prices.  CA accounts for almost 15% of the US's GNP, big market.
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Edit - Not the article I read, but here is some info.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/bacon-may-disappear-california-pig-rules-take-effect-n1275685

https://www.latimes.com/california/newsletter/2021-08-05/bacon-california-pig-law-essential-california

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-business-health-california-coronavirus-pandemic-5ebe70407fcd94ef712c16410f32c4b1

cali can eat ethically raised corn ribs
    fukahwee maine

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    @nolaegghead I was thinking the same thing yesterday while shopping.  People are getting back into hoarding.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • fishlessman
    edited August 2021
    Options
    MA has the highest per capita GNP, yeah, that usually says high prices.  CA accounts for almost 15% of the US's GNP, big market.

thank god we have tax free nh liquor barns and markets close by. mass used to put spies in the nh lots to catch those evading the mass tax. mass thinks nh should collect that tax for them
    fukahwee maine

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Prices for beef and pork have remained generally stable here in SE Neb.  The number of producers and processing plants in the state likely influence that.  The factors mentioned by @nolaegghead are very relevant and it would seem will be impacting prices for the foreseeable future.
    For any interested, scroll down in the link below, a weekly ad showing some typical prices...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    @fishlessman check BJ’s. I got whole rack of spares for $1.99/lb a couple weeks ago. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    @fishlessman, I don't remember if I mentioned this the other day, but I think BJ's sells Pearl franks. Even if you're not a member, you can walk in and get a day pass and buy for a 10% premium. Day pass works at Sam's Club too, but I don't think it does at Costco.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    just checked local meat locker . . . $3.99#
    dunno about the local grocers, WM , Price Chopper
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    Bought Swifts pork butts for $.88 lb 2 months ago now $3.59 lb.  That’s a pretty big jump.  
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle