Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally - silky THIN pizza crust to our liking

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
A while back I asked for help finding a great plastic wrap. I watched a link posted by @Botch and they recommended the freeze-tite brand. That stuffs rocks - I know others recommended a Kirkland product, but I like this freeeze-tite product.

Last night I used a sheet of it placed over a ball of sticky pizza dough and with no hassle at all I rolled out this silky thin crust.

Which made this great pizza!

Thanks @Botch!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• DavidCrumpton
    Options
    Looks every tasty
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    What makes it different from Saran?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Thicker, wider, tougher and it CLINGS!!! Besides that the box comes with a "tile-style" slide cutter!
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    How big a doughball was that Ron, and how wide did you get it?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a great looking pie.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Fantastic 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RRP
    Options
    Kayak said:
    How big a doughball was that Ron, and how wide did you get it?
    soft ball size and 14" diameter
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Great looking pizza!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Ron, I love the thin crust pizza!  I've been making those more here myself frequently.  They're just lighter and easier to eat.

One question for you on process.  I gather you place the ball in the middle of the sheet of parchment paper there underneath, and then a layer of the freeze-tite over the top?  Then you use the rolling pin to roll it out, the idea being it prevents the pin from sticking to the dough?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    Options
    Ron, I love the thin crust pizza!  I've been making those more here myself frequently.  They're just lighter and easier to eat.

One question for you on process.  I gather you place the ball in the middle of the sheet of parchment paper there underneath, and then a layer of the freeze-tite over the top?  Then you use the rolling pin to roll it out, the idea being it prevents the pin from sticking to the dough?  
    You got all your assumptions correct, Professor! With sticky dough I was always fighting and cussing it in spite of constantly dusting my rolling pin. That sheet of freeze-tite eliminated my frustration and peeled off with no hesitation!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Ron:  I like the way you drew a circle for a guide . . . 'za looks yummy!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Looks just great!
    Would you share info on Egg size, Egg setup and time/temp?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • RRP
    edited August 2021
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Looks just great!
    Would you share info on Egg size, Egg setup and time/temp?
    Over the years I have tried many of the suggested proven pizza baking methods, but here's what has proven to be my favorite set up:

Large egg
    P/S with legs up
    Grate on top legs
    Pizza stone on grate

Time and temp really is dictated by your crust recipe. But with my crust choices I  always gravitate to a stable dome temp of 425 after the p/s and stone have been been proven at that temperature level using an infrared thermometer. Then for time 15 minutes is normally plenty for my crust choices.
    HTH
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    RRP said:
    Langner91 said:
    Thicker, wider, tougher and it CLINGS!!! Besides that the box comes with a "tile-style" slide cutter!
    Quote of the week
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Amazing results.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRP
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    Ron:  I like the way you drew a circle for a guide . . . 'za looks yummy!
    SWMBO likes round pizzas so keeping peace in the family is simply reached using a 14" round cardboard piece and a Magic Marker!  

Wish ALL my needs to please were that simple to achieve! =)
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    What is the dough recipe or is it a family secret ? I am curious to make the dough an do my own pizzas at home
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    What is the dough recipe or is it a family secret ? I am curious to make the dough an do my own pizzas at home
    More than a family secret because no one else in the family knows it, sorry Ron you know I wasn't referring to you  ;)
    canuckland
  • RRP
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Just saw your message!

If you use a mixer like I do just be careful you don't over do the kneading with your dough hook as the dough COULD get tough, though the results are still delicious, just more chewy than you might like.
  • RRP
    Options
    Oh, BTW after making the raw dough I let it rest in the refrigerator for 24 hours and then divide it, place in qt size ZipLoc bags and freeze it. Results are same as if fresh and not frozen. That's the beauty of this recipe and I make multiple batches to have on hand. After it has thawed  out for 24 hrs in the refrigerator leave on counter for a few hours and the yeast starts to work again.