Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maximizing sleep for a pork butt that needs to come off by 3pm

jld
jld Posts: 63
edited July 2021 in EggHead Forum
I have a 10lb pork shoulder I want pulled for dinner tomorrow. I have to leave my house by 3 to get where dinner is. It can rest in a cooler until 5 when I will shred and eat. 

Cooking it all tomorrow morning will mean waking up really early but not too bad with a hotter cook. Say starting around 7 at 300 degrees for about 8 hours. 

Starting tonight around 11 will make for a long cook but might finish too soon. Maybe good for a lower cook like 250 for 12-14 hours. 

Given the schedule, what would you do?

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2021
    I think I'd try to get the thing on the egg around 12-1AM. Running at 250. Probably get done around 1PM and get it wrapped really well in a cooler till you get where you need to go. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Actually now that I think about it. I would do your first option. Cook that thing at 300 and that way you get a good nights rest.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    I'm generally not a fan of turbo, but I think 300 is an excellent compromise. You could also cut the shoulder in half and it should finish earlier. I think the end result suffers a little bit, but it will provide even more bark and I'm sure it will still be the most popular item at your gathering.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    I do pork butts at 300 and they turn out fine. Proceed. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    edited July 2021
    A little late to the show , but moving forward ,  when I know this far in advance I will either 1) cook s couple days ahead of time and reheat ( my preference and zero quality loss ) or 2) Start it as above as low as you can hold your egg <225 and bump as needed which you wont need to, hold in cooler or oven @ lowest setting ..save your Jus and separate the fat

Not matter, butts are forgiving and you I will be a hero, keep it simple 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    bit late but ive lit the egg at night and tossed the butt in the egg in the morning. no screwing with lighting and stabilizing in the morning
    Words of wisdom right here
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I would do the faster method at 300.  Unless you like the overnight cook, there is no reason to do low and slow. You'll end up the same result and more sleep.
  • I believe the quality of my butts are better at 300:than 250F.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis