Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Olympic swim caps and Bad Engineering

Botch
Botch Posts: 16,072

This has been bugging me for years.  
Olympic swim caps are designed badly.  Look at those large ripples along the longitudinal skull line, orthogonal to the direction of travel.  Drag, drag, drag!  If I were that level of swimmer, I would forego the cap, and just shave my head.  Those swimmers spend a long time carefully shaving the rest of their body (shaving their arms makes no sense either, but that's another thread); if you're competing at the Olympic level, shave your damn head! (also, note the gap in his cap between his eyebrow and ear; can you say "drag"?)  
Even worse, when I googled "olympic swim caps" the first page or two just featured "African" style caps, enclosing afros or huge cornrow 'dos, making the head/cap combo have up to twice the frontal area; again, Drag drag drag!!  
I'm enjoying my retirement lifestyle of clipping coupons and watching cat videos all day, but there are a bunch of bad things in life that I should correct as a Consultant.  
Maybe.  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    "Why Do Swimmers Wear Two Caps? There's A Science Behind This Olympics Secret" https://www.bustle.com/articles/177612-why-do-swimmers-wear-two-caps-theres-a-science-behind-this-olympics-secret
    Are you seeing any of them cover their bodies with bumps from 'cupping'? Wonder if that's out of style this year.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Botch
    "Why Do Swimmers Wear Two Caps? There's A Science Behind This Olympics Secret" https://www.bustle.com/articles/177612-why-do-swimmers-wear-two-caps-theres-a-science-behind-this-olympics-secret
    That is interesting but still doesn't address the ridges that most caps exhibit; I'm willing to bet a shaved head with an exposed goggle strap presents less drag than two caps do.  

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,360
    Think this fits the rules?

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,177
    Pretty sure the ribs are for her pleasure, Botch.  Not yours.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Pretty sure the ribs are for her pleasure, Botch.  Not yours.
    F*ck that.  I put them on inside-out for a reason.   =)  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380

A hundred years ago most folks would think that a "penis" on the bow of your ship would just create unnecessary drag. It does just the opposite, and can increase efficiency by 10-15 percent.

Perhaps those cap ridges despite the counterintuitive first glance actually have an advantageous hydrodynamic effect for some swimming strokes. Probably have no effect on the dog paddle tho.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Kayak said:
    Are you seeing any of them cover their bodies with bumps from 'cupping'? Wonder if that's out of style this year.
    Saw those on an Aussie swimmer Tuesday night. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    HeavyG said:

A hundred years ago most folks would think that a "penis" on the bow of your ship would just create unnecessary drag. It does just the opposite, and can increase efficiency by 10-15 percent.

TWSS
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Per my son, who was a club swimmer from late elementary through high school,, the shaving was more a mental trick.  The girls would not shave their legs for weeks leading up to a big meet, and then shave right before the event.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Botch
    buzzvol said:
    Per my son, who was a club swimmer from late elementary through high school,, the shaving was more a mental trick.  The girls would not shave their legs for weeks leading up to a big meet, and then shave right before the event.
    That's another thing that doesn't make sense to me.  I can see shaving most of your body to reduce drag, but why would you shave your arms?  They are what is pulling you thru the water, and a hairy arm would have more "bite" against the water (the arm is mostly out of the water when moving forward for the next stroke).  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Botch said:
    buzzvol said:
    That's another thing that doesn't make sense to me.  I can see shaving most of your body to reduce drag, but why would you shave your arms?  They are what is pulling you thru the water, and a hairy arm would have more "bite" against the water (the arm is mostly out of the water when moving forward for the next stroke).  
    Why are boat propellers designed with an objective of minimal drag and cavitation?  They even sharpen the leading edge, hopefully that's not passive-aggressive behavior to beluga whales.....

Just being devil's advocate here.

No they hate manatees.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,244

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    edited July 2021
    nolaegghead said:
    Why are boat propellers designed with an objective of minimal drag and cavitation?  They even sharpen the leading edge, hopefully that's not passive-aggressive behavior to beluga whales.....

Just being devil's advocate here.

Carey I've been puzzling over this all day, and I don't know how/if I can answer it.  Sharpening the leading edge makes sense, as water is an incompressible fluid and the leading edge "cleaves" the fluid, it doesn't "push" it aft like the flat portion of the blade, or the hairy arm....  I dunno!   :confused:  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Botch said:
    That is interesting but still doesn't address the ridges that most caps exhibit; I'm willing to bet a shaved head with an exposed goggle strap presents less drag than two caps do.  

Tonite was a good example of why most wear two caps:

I'm pretty sure I would have just drowned in that situation.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk