Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter crack… in its infancy

So I did a clean burn after pizza last week, replaced my gasket, and otherwise cleaned and inspected my large egg. I’m almost 2 months past the 3 years of ownership point with my plate setter. 

Question is, has anyone ever drilled a hole in their plate setter to stop crack progression?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Some people have tried to as well as wiring them together or using JB Weld, but if you are the original buyer then just file a claim with your dealer! These eggs and eggcesseries are expensive which factors in the LIFETIME warranty…
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    edited July 2021
    I had my first replaced after early failure. Asked my dealer (Ace Hardware) if they cracked early often. He said no and replaced it. Had to pay shipping 25 dollars I think. Doesn’t hurt to ask. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Talk to your dealer or a BGE directly to see if they can work with you as it's just outside warranty. Worth a shot anyway.

Go spider, stone, and drip tray from the Ceramic Grill Store if you don't hear anything back from BGE.  ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    My plate setter cracked in two, took it to my dealer with receipt, walked out with a new one.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    However it works out.  Get a grinder cut off the other two legs.  Great pizza stone or heat deflector.  Or half heat deflector if you cut more.  I use my cracked one often now
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Srpete01
    Srpete01 Posts: 28
    I just sent the mothership an email. When I dug up my receipt it’s literally 1 month beyond the 3 year point since purchase. I’ll bet the crack was there over a month ago and I just didn’t see it until I did a cleaning burn.
  • Srpete01
    Srpete01 Posts: 28
    edited August 2021
    So, I decided to go ahead and drill a small hole in my plate setter at the end of the crack. Since then I did high heat pizza and I don’t see any signs of the crack propagating any further. 

BGE sent me a new plate setter too. I’ll just keep using the old one with the hole in it for now. It’s nice to have a backup!