Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Point only ?s

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
Ever since Covid, our grocery store has been weird. Carrying stuff they normally don’t. Out of regular stuff. 

Last weekend, they had briskets cut in half. Not separated, but cut in half vertically. As everyone knows, the point is better. So I picked up a 4.75lb brisket point (with the flat under)

So any idea how long it will take to cook? Ballpark figure? I know most people shoot for an hour and a half per pound but that’s a full packer. Thanks in advance. I’ll keep you posted 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Our HEB sometimes has pork shoulder (maybe portions of pork shoulders) in that size range.  They typically take me about an hour per pound at 250-275.

As you know, it is probably less about the weight and more about the distance from the surface of the meat to the center - but the above estimate should put you in the ballpark.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I did one just over 6# a few days ago. At 230ish, it ran about 15 hours to get to 200. But it could have been pulled a little sooner.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I do find the smaller cuts run long (brisket and pork butts) compared to the "average".  I would run at 275*F +/- and plan for around 75 minutes/lb but give yourself a good few hour hold window that may (likely) be consumed by cook time.  FWIW-
    Edit:  Remember the point has a higher fat content so it will likely pass the feel/probe test at a lower temp relative to the temp in the point when the flat releases in a full packer cook.  You can run it longer to get more fat rendering but depending on the cook duration may not need it.  How's that for a waffle answer  B)!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This was in HEB yesterday. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mickey said:
    This was in HEB yesterday. 

I see a Dutch Oven cook in your future!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas