Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket on a Joetisserie for 7/4???

Options
PatrickJ117
PatrickJ117 Posts: 32
edited July 2021 in EggHead Forum
I have a small brisket to cook Monday---a 3 lb flat. I bought a Joe recently and love it. Had an idea of using it for the brisket

I'd season in typical fashion...cpl days before, vacuum wrap and rest. On Monday, set the Egg up with coals on each side...I have the dividers for indirect. Get the heat around 250 and put the meat on. My thinking is the forks on the rotisserie will put enough pressure on the meat to keep it togetjher. I would tie is as well.

Aside from no wrap---which I keep reading is option vs mandatory ---with a drip pan under..."what could go wrong"?

Looking for feedback/thoughts and if anyone else has tried this.

Thanks for reading

LBGE, Weber Summit 4 burner--Philadelphia, PA
Syracuse U., Yankees, E-A-G-L-E-S

Old Indian saying...When riding a dead horse, by all means dismount...

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Such a small piece, and being only the leaner flat, I would not poke a big hole in it and spin it. It would also cook from the heat of the spit rod.
    I would wrap it in bacon and cook on the grate til probe tender, give it a short rest, then wrap in foil til ready to slice.
    Foiling option is for 3 things.
    1st…is to slow down the outer crust/bark. Not usually issue on Egg.
    2nd…help speed up the cook and push through the stall. Code name Texas Crutch.lol
    3rd…and I think it’s important to do this, is for the rest. Pull brisket off the Egg when it probes tender. Give it a 15 min rest UNCOVERED. This allows outer temp to drop some. Then wrap in foil or butchers paper and hold it a cooler to rest for a couple hours to slowly come down in temp. Or on the counter for an hour or so. If you foil brisket right off the Egg, it will continue to braise and cook pushing out juices and drying out your brisket.
    Most importantly, you are only cooking a small piece of meat cut from the brisket flat. It’s not going to cook the same way you read about a full brisket cooks.
    Similar to the way a chicken breast would cook differently then cooking the entire chicken or a steak is cooked differently than a rib roast.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PatrickJ117
    Options
    THAT is the missing factor---the skewer through it...a little diff than a chicken...thats solves that. Now---what about if its in a basket on the Joe?

LBGE, Weber Summit 4 burner--Philadelphia, PA
    Syracuse U., Yankees, E-A-G-L-E-S

Old Indian saying...When riding a dead horse, by all means dismount...
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Keep in mind a couple factors.  As it cooks it will shrink.  As it flips it will dance and in a basket tear the the hell out of it.  That being said tie it up like a butchers roast and stop the sliding around it will be different.  Fat won't render the same.  But my vote.  Gonfor it take photos.  I'd wrap it bacon if it were me trying it.  If not the worse you have is cut it into cubes then wrap in individual bacon and double smoke for bacon wrapped burnt ends.  Aka whole brisket.  So a win win which ever
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    THAT is the missing factor---the skewer through it...a little diff than a chicken...thats solves that. Now---what about if its in a basket on the Joe?

I know you’re excited to spin the sh*t out of something…but save it for a rib roast, chicken or try wings in the basket if you must. My basket cooks were far from my favorite because it tumbled most of the nice caramelization and spices off the wings. If you like smoked wings that you sauce in a bowl after cooking it’s perfect. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Listen to photo egg
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    I’ve spun every thing you can imagine and have used the basket a lot.  I use it for chicken pieces, fish and seafood, roasting green chilies, lamb chops.  If I don’t like the color, I put them near the heat for a bit of char.  Good luck!
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.