Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Stump Preservation

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,081
Lost a tree to some pine needle blight disease.  About a 30 footer, already missing the shade it provided.  Not sure of the species, but it would lose about half its needles each fall.  I won't miss cleaning those up, especially out of the rain gutters.
I had the removal folks leave the stump, to a height of about 4'.  It's about 18" across at the top.  Future pedestal for a plant, sculpture or something.  
When it stops oozing sap should it be coated to preserve (delay) the wood from rotting?  I have spar varnish and Thompson's water seal on hand.  Should I use one of those, something else or nothing?  Thoughts?

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have never preserved a stump that was still in the ground. However we have preserved several cedar, cypress and pine “knots” with polyurethane. I have no idea is it the best for your intended use or not. However it works great for pieces that are kept indoors. I still have some cypress knots I did as a kid. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sure, if you seal the top you'll get some extra use out of it.  But it will eventually rot underground.  You might get a few years.  I had one cut about 12 feet off the ground thinking I'd build a tree-house on it.  After a few years it started falling apart.
    Options
    No idea if your blight disease killed the roots or not.  
    I would ignore the top cut surface of the tree, screw in four 90º brackets around the top, and mount a Blackstone to those brackets (leaving 1/2" clearance between the bottom, and the top of the stump).
    But, I want a Blackstone, and don't have the space, so YMMV.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I would cut that into side tables for your outdoor furniture.  You can seal the top and paint them what ever color you want.  I did that with some and they are going on about 5 years now.  They are under a patio and take them into the garage during the winter.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    @PigBeanUs  gave you GREAT advice with both the smarts and logic behind it. I’ve lived in a neighborhood for nearly 42 years which was virgin wooded land. Over the years I as well as many neighbors have lost 100 to 300 year old oaks, hickories, ash, elms and other species. Saving a stump is a waste of effort and time. Sorry, but what’s dead is dead and move on.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Thanks Ron. Glad you agreed with everything I said. 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I have nothing to add to the above. Because the source of the moisture is underneath, there is no surface treatment that will halt the decay. 

I have a friend who paid a wood worker to carve a very neat sculpture into a stump on his property. It will not last indefinitely, but it is unique and very beautiful. 

When we moved into our new (old) home last year, there was a very large stump that we had professionally ground. The contractor did not grind low enough, and so we paid a different contractor to get it all the way down this year. Took two attempts and more money than it should have, but it is now level with the rest of the yard. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    hahaha...the ol' bait and switch...
    Options
    Thanks all for the responses and bursting my bubble.  With time one should learn to make decisions after seeking advice.  Maybe some day I'll get there.
    As an aside, my smarter half was against leaving the stump from the beginning.  She will get a kick out of seeing this thread. 
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    It will still be around for a few years so go ahead with whatever you had in mind and enjoy that while it lasts.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    It looks like a pine, and I have had great success with preserving. As Carey stated, you need to seal the top. Before you do so, let the sap extract a few weeks, harden…. before sealing. Sand it down and seal with multiple coats. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    Options
    …..one more thing, plant some Ivey (4-5 plants around the base………around it and it will improve the visual. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Might be fun to get the chainsaw out and do a little sculpting and finish off with a pair of pumpkin at the base....but what to sculpt?....hmmmmm
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I have never attempted this but if I were, I would strip the bark so it dries, drill a hole in the base and fill with insecticide, let it sit for the summer, then sand, seal.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    most wood rot comes from fungi, although insecticides such as borate salts will kill both
    HeavyG said:
    It will still be around for a few years so go ahead with whatever you had in mind and enjoy that while it lasts.
    This is a good perspective, but you should also know that rotting wood is a fantastic refuge for insects. Having a rotting stump near your home provides a haven for all sorts of beetles, ants and the like - many of whom may travel into your home. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    This is a good perspective, but you should also know that rotting wood is a fantastic refuge for insects. Having a rotting stump near your home provides a haven for all sorts of beetles, ants and the like - many of whom may travel into your home. 
    Just put up a sign by the house….(.No insects)

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    Obviously the only clear solution would be to excavate the stump then pour a mold around it, then recast in concrete and plant it back in the yard.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    Do you happen to have a 3D printer?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Sounds like you should just burn down your house and move across the country….
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Naahhh... the stump actually ends up playing the same role as that of a sacrificial anode.
    All those critters would naturally be checking out your house anyway. Once that sappy stumpt starts decomposing they'll be drawn to that soft juicy pulp (it's like a perfect brisket to them). All those bugs then draw in the avian characters that scoop them up like jelly beans.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Obviously the only clear solution would be to excavate the stump then pour a mold around it, then recast in concrete and plant it back in the yard.

End qoute.

You might be onto something.  He could sell them.