Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker/Computer Networking Help

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,029
I really have no idea what I'm doing here when I'm trying to figure out my Stoker...

I can get my Stoker page pulled up using the IP address through my house network. I've even managed to somehow figure out port forwarding and pull up the Stoker page outside of my home network. It works great until it doesn't. It randomly drops connection. (It can be hours and hours later into a cook) I've read/been told that it could be dropping my IP address? 

So I went ahead and manually connected the MAC address of the Stoker to the IP address. Would this now be considered static?

Sorry I don't know anything about networking. I'm wondering if connecting the MAC address and the IP address will help any? Will my network still try to resubmit a new address or is it considered static now since they're assigned together? 

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    The reason I gave my Stoker away, shouldn't have to be an IT guy to Que
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    The reason I gave my Stoker away, shouldn't have to be an IT guy to Que
    Yep. If money grew on tree's I'd do the same. Way over my head but I'm thinking I'm getting close....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Locking the mac address to a static IP will help. In order to accomplish this, add the mac address to the bottom of the screen capture. Is that an Asus router?

Also, do you have it hardwired with a network cable? or are you doing wireless? I always hardwired the Stoker and set a statip IP
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited June 2021
    Options
    You are in the right area, but I don't see it assigned. You will have to look on the Stoker to get the MAC address. At the bottom of that screen shot, use the MAC address dropdown menu to find the Stoker's MAC address. Then under IP Address, you have to give it a local IP address. This will be 192.168.29.xxx, where xxx is any unused IP address (or one already used by the Stoker) between 101 and 254. I would pick something higher like 200 so you know it's not currently being used and you can remember it for port forwarding. Then click the Add/Delete button and save it. Once the router reboots, you should be good. If you picked 200, your Stoker address will always be 192.168.29.200 until your router is reset or dies.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• WeberWho
    Options
    GregW said:
    Locking the mac address to a static IP will help. In order to accomplish this, add the mac address to the bottom of the screen capture. Is that an Asus router?

Also, do you have it hardwired with a network cable? or are you doing wireless? I always hardwired the Stoker and set a statip IP
    Asus router. I added the MAC and IP address at the bottom of the screen and submitted. I'm running it off wifi. It works good but will eventually drop it where I can't pull up the Stoker page. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    You are in the right area, but I don't see it assigned. You will have to look on the Stoker to get the MAC address. At the bottom of that screen shot, use the MAC address dropdown menu to find the Stoker's MAC address. Then under IP Address, you have to give it a local IP address. This will be 192.168.29.xxx, where xxx is any unused IP address (or one already used by the Stoker) between 101 and 254. I would pick something higher like 200 so you know it's not currently being used and you can remember it for port forwarding. Then click the Add/Delete button and save it. Once the router reboots, you should be good. If you picked 200, your Stoker address will always be 192.168.29.200 until your router is reset or dies.
    I ended grabbing the MAC number from the Stoker off the router. I took the MAC number and the IP address and submitted/assigned them together. (I ended up cropping out my MAC/IP address out of the picture before posting it here on the forum) 

Should I reset my router after being submitted?

Thanks!

Minnesota
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    @brentm comes to mind here. I think he spent a few minutes on the subject   
    Snellville, GA

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Toxarch said:
    I ended grabbing the MAC number from the Stoker off the router. I took the MAC number and the IP address and submitted/assigned them together. (I ended up cropping out my MAC/IP address out of the picture before posting it here on the forum) 

Thanks!

The router will likely restart itself once you save the new setting. If not, then yes you will probably need to restart (not reset) the router so it assigns the new IP address to the Stoker. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• WeberWho
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    WeberWho said:
    Toxarch said:

Thanks!

The router will likely restart itself once you save the new setting. If not, then yes you will probably need to restart (not reset) the router so it assigns the new IP address to the Stoker. 
    Thanks! I'm not sure if my router has restarted but I've officially been connected for 16+ hours now without dropping service! I don't ever recall the Stoker going more than 8 hours before losing connection. I might need to grab some protein and give it a real go. Fingers crossed!

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Toxarch said:
    WeberWho said:
    Toxarch said:

Thanks!

Thanks! I'm not sure if my router has restarted but I've officially been connected for 16+ hours now without dropping service! I don't ever recall the Stoker going more than 8 hours before losing connection. I might need to grab some protein and give it a real go. Fingers crossed!
    I hope this works out for you!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    is your stoker a white box or black box?

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• WeberWho
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    WeberWho said:
    Toxarch said:
    WeberWho said:
    Toxarch said:

Thanks!

I hope this works out for you!

Thanks!

Going on 22.5 hours without any issue so far. I'm currently outside my home network and able to read it here at work. I'm currently reading 68.4 degree temperature in my kitchen.  =) Not exactly 250 degrees inside a smoker but I had to test it out somehow. 

I stopped at the local grocery store where I found pork shoulder for $1.48/lb last week. Today it was on "sale" for $2.99 down from $3.48 the sign said. I couldn't pull the trigger for $3/lb or roughly $27 for a pork shoulder. Especially when the other cooler case had brisket for $2.98/lb. Crazy times when a pork shoulder costs more per pound then a brisket here in MN! Then again I didn't want to ruin a $50+ dollar brisket running a unstable controller overnight. So I'm still on the hunt for a cheap piece of meat to throw on the egg overnight. I should have grabbed a few extra butts when I had a chance last week. I wasn't sure what I had available in my deep freezer. Apparently not pulled pork.....

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    billt01 said:
    is your stoker a white box or black box?

Black wifi Stoker

Minnesota