Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

OT...Canon Camera Question

Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 10,856
It's time to update my primary personal camera. I want to stay with Canon. Currently shooting older model 5D mkii, Full Frame.
Thinking about going mirrorless with a R5 or R6. Any of you Photo Geeks using these? My main concern is the digital viewfinder. How good is it compared to the standard through the lens system.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

  • DondgcDondgc Posts: 675
    The main problem with the R 5 and 6 was severe overheating when shooting video. I believe those issues were fixed through firmware updates. 
    New Orleans LA
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 36,927
    The R series is excellent.  Typically, if you've been shooting with a D5, you probably have a pretty good investment in glass.  You'll need an EF-RF mount adapter, I believe.

    The viewfinder screen is superior to the old prism systems on the R, unless you like shooting with the camera up to your face.  Little hard to see in the bright daylight, it will compensate (or you can set it) but they also make shades for the screen.

    Most all professional photography and cinematography is done with digital screen now.  I'm an advocate of following what the pros do...they do it day in and out. 
    ______________________________________________
    No cooking devices other than an Easy-Bake oven with a 75 watt incandescent light bulb.
    Virus downloading.....(*beep...bleep...whirrr...whirrr*)
    Download Complete.



  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 10,856
    Dondgc said:
    The main problem with the R 5 and 6 was severe overheating when shooting video. I believe those issues were fixed through firmware updates. 
    Yes, I saw that doing research. And only when shooting 8k I believe. Something I don't believe I would ever do anyway.
    Thank you,
    Darian

    Galveston Texas
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 36,927
    I'll ask my buddy for more info, he shoots with them professionally.
    ______________________________________________
    No cooking devices other than an Easy-Bake oven with a 75 watt incandescent light bulb.
    Virus downloading.....(*beep...bleep...whirrr...whirrr*)
    Download Complete.



  • jdMyersjdMyers Posts: 604
    edited June 9
    I shoot with an R5.  No issues with overheating with the right cards.  Have to use a rf adaptor ring or a control ring.  Inuse the viltrox brand control ring.  Allows you to assign the ring to any control.  Needed for EF lenses.  The viewfinder is really good.  You can assign the zoom factor to zoom in and check your eye sharpness.  I came from an eos 1ds mark iii and a mark iv.   I wanted to wait for the R1 or even the R3.  But with the r5 you will want to add the battery grip and 2nd battery.  It eats thru the juice even in stills.  The thing that I haven't adapted to is when going from screen to viewfinder I have to close the screen
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 10,856
    edited June 10
    jdMyers said:
    I shoot with an R5.  No issues with overheating with the right cards.  Have to use a rf adaptor ring or a control ring.  Inuse the viltrox brand control ring.  Allows you to assign the ring to any control.  Needed for EF lenses.  The viewfinder is really good.  You can assign the zoom factor to zoom in and check your eye sharpness.  I came from an eos 1ds mark iii and a mark iv.   I wanted to wait for the R1 or even the R3.  But with the r5 you will want to add the battery grip and 2nd battery.  It eats thru the juice even in stills.  The thing that I haven't adapted to is when going from screen to viewfinder I have to close the screen
    Thank you.
    I can’t find a store anywhere around me where I could get my hands on one.
    I know quality and features of R5 far exceed what I’m using now. My main concern was how the digital view finder compares and handles to the through the lens finder of 5D series. Hard to get used to it? More eye strain? Or smooth transition back and forth?
    All the reviews I have seen on the EF to R adapter have been excellent. This is the only reason I’m looking towards the R5. I have a fair amount of good EF glass.
    What cards would you recommend?
    Thanks for your reply.
    Thank you,
    Darian

    Galveston Texas
  • blind99blind99 Posts: 4,907
    I drooled over the R6 and watched or read every review I could find! In the end I couldn’t pull the trigger. They sure look like great cameras. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jdMyersjdMyers Posts: 604
    The CFexpress cards are pretty much rape.  $199 for a small one.  Then a card reader for it.  The SD UHS are pricy as well.  Again new card reader or plug the camera into the PC to dump the folder.  Smh.  Not to mention the CR3 files can't be read by hardly anything.  Have to convert them to dng files just to read them.  Photo shop version I have won't read cr3.  After my 1st shoot.  Three days to figure it out.  The viewfinder is smooth and fast.  Not worries there.  Once dialed in the screen is almost see it live.  Raise up to f10 f22 the screen darkens accordingly.  Goto f2.8 screen blow out to help you see it to dial it in.  So far I like it.  Coming from 1dx the buttons were all wrong for me but fast adjustment.  The basic $99 adaptor ring works fine.   You will like the control ring.  I use it to adjust iso so no more remembering knobs
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 10,856
    jdMyers said:
    The CFexpress cards are pretty much rape.  $199 for a small one.  Then a card reader for it.  The SD UHS are pricy as well.  Again new card reader or plug the camera into the PC to dump the folder.  Smh.  Not to mention the CR3 files can't be read by hardly anything.  Have to convert them to dng files just to read them.  Photo shop version I have won't read cr3.  After my 1st shoot.  Three days to figure it out.  The viewfinder is smooth and fast.  Not worries there.  Once dialed in the screen is almost see it live.  Raise up to f10 f22 the screen darkens accordingly.  Goto f2.8 screen blow out to help you see it to dial it in.  So far I like it.  Coming from 1dx the buttons were all wrong for me but fast adjustment.  The basic $99 adaptor ring works fine.   You will like the control ring.  I use it to adjust iso so no more remembering knobs
    Great info, thank you. I hope more of the upper end cameras start using the CFexpress and the price drops. I don’t have the need to rapid fire so buffering should not be an issue.
    Thank you,
    Darian

    Galveston Texas
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.