Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Canon Camera Question

Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
It's time to update my primary personal camera. I want to stay with Canon. Currently shooting older model 5D mkii, Full Frame.
Thinking about going mirrorless with a R5 or R6. Any of you Photo Geeks using these? My main concern is the digital viewfinder. How good is it compared to the standard through the lens system.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    The main problem with the R 5 and 6 was severe overheating when shooting video. I believe those issues were fixed through firmware updates. 
    New Orleans LA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The R series is excellent.  Typically, if you've been shooting with a D5, you probably have a pretty good investment in glass.  You'll need an EF-RF mount adapter, I believe.

The viewfinder screen is superior to the old prism systems on the R, unless you like shooting with the camera up to your face.  Little hard to see in the bright daylight, it will compensate (or you can set it) but they also make shades for the screen.

Most all professional photography and cinematography is done with digital screen now.  I'm an advocate of following what the pros do...they do it day in and out. 
    Dondgc said:
    The main problem with the R 5 and 6 was severe overheating when shooting video. I believe those issues were fixed through firmware updates. 
    Yes, I saw that doing research. And only when shooting 8k I believe. Something I don't believe I would ever do anyway.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'll ask my buddy for more info, he shoots with them professionally.
    edited June 2021
    I shoot with an R5.  No issues with overheating with the right cards.  Have to use a rf adaptor ring or a control ring.  Inuse the viltrox brand control ring.  Allows you to assign the ring to any control.  Needed for EF lenses.  The viewfinder is really good.  You can assign the zoom factor to zoom in and check your eye sharpness.  I came from an eos 1ds mark iii and a mark iv.   I wanted to wait for the R1 or even the R3.  But with the r5 you will want to add the battery grip and 2nd battery.  It eats thru the juice even in stills.  The thing that I haven't adapted to is when going from screen to viewfinder I have to close the screen
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Photo Egg
    edited June 2021
    jdMyers said:
    I shoot with an R5.  No issues with overheating with the right cards.  Have to use a rf adaptor ring or a control ring.  Inuse the viltrox brand control ring.  Allows you to assign the ring to any control.  Needed for EF lenses.  The viewfinder is really good.  You can assign the zoom factor to zoom in and check your eye sharpness.  I came from an eos 1ds mark iii and a mark iv.   I wanted to wait for the R1 or even the R3.  But with the r5 you will want to add the battery grip and 2nd battery.  It eats thru the juice even in stills.  The thing that I haven't adapted to is when going from screen to viewfinder I have to close the screen
    Thank you.
    I can’t find a store anywhere around me where I could get my hands on one.
    I know quality and features of R5 far exceed what I’m using now. My main concern was how the digital view finder compares and handles to the through the lens finder of 5D series. Hard to get used to it? More eye strain? Or smooth transition back and forth?
    All the reviews I have seen on the EF to R adapter have been excellent. This is the only reason I’m looking towards the R5. I have a fair amount of good EF glass.
    What cards would you recommend?
    Thanks for your reply.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I drooled over the R6 and watched or read every review I could find! In the end I couldn’t pull the trigger. They sure look like great cameras. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    The CFexpress cards are pretty much rape.  $199 for a small one.  Then a card reader for it.  The SD UHS are pricy as well.  Again new card reader or plug the camera into the PC to dump the folder.  Smh.  Not to mention the CR3 files can't be read by hardly anything.  Have to convert them to dng files just to read them.  Photo shop version I have won't read cr3.  After my 1st shoot.  Three days to figure it out.  The viewfinder is smooth and fast.  Not worries there.  Once dialed in the screen is almost see it live.  Raise up to f10 f22 the screen darkens accordingly.  Goto f2.8 screen blow out to help you see it to dial it in.  So far I like it.  Coming from 1dx the buttons were all wrong for me but fast adjustment.  The basic $99 adaptor ring works fine.   You will like the control ring.  I use it to adjust iso so no more remembering knobs
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Photo Egg
    jdMyers said:
    The CFexpress cards are pretty much rape.  $199 for a small one.  Then a card reader for it.  The SD UHS are pricy as well.  Again new card reader or plug the camera into the PC to dump the folder.  Smh.  Not to mention the CR3 files can't be read by hardly anything.  Have to convert them to dng files just to read them.  Photo shop version I have won't read cr3.  After my 1st shoot.  Three days to figure it out.  The viewfinder is smooth and fast.  Not worries there.  Once dialed in the screen is almost see it live.  Raise up to f10 f22 the screen darkens accordingly.  Goto f2.8 screen blow out to help you see it to dial it in.  So far I like it.  Coming from 1dx the buttons were all wrong for me but fast adjustment.  The basic $99 adaptor ring works fine.   You will like the control ring.  I use it to adjust iso so no more remembering knobs
    Great info, thank you. I hope more of the upper end cameras start using the CFexpress and the price drops. I don’t have the need to rapid fire so buffering should not be an issue.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    jdMyers said:

So far so good. I’ve only had it 2 days and only testing in the house.
    Thanks for your input.
    Could you save me a couple days and tell me your progress for converting cr3 to dng?
    Im running a Mac Pro and might have to update my OS in order to use the newest Adobe dng converter.
    The Canon Software will slowly convert them to jpg or tiff but not dng.
    The focus and higher iso are amazing compared to my 5D mark ii. And the lens adapter works perfect with all my older EF L glass.
     Thanks 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jdMyers
    Goto to Adobe and download dng comvertor.  Then then change output folder to a different folder name or dng.  Point the converter to the cr3 files.  Takes about 3 min or so.   Because of that I shoot jpeg + raw so I get them both.  Use the raw files converted when I have to.  Use jpg for the regulars.  Dng  does not.loose any thing during conversion.  Which ring adaptor did you get
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    "Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop" https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/digital-negative.html
    Columbus, Ohio
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    jdMyers said:
    I know many of these words. 
  • Photo Egg
    jdMyers said:
    Goto to Adobe and download dng comvertor.  Then then change output folder to a different folder name or dng.  Point the converter to the cr3 files.  Takes about 3 min or so.   Because of that I shoot jpeg + raw so I get them both.  Use the raw files converted when I have to.  Use jpg for the regulars.  Dng  does not.loose any thing during conversion.  Which ring adaptor did you get
    Thanks again.
    I downloaded the newer dng converter a few days ago but it will not run on my OS. I was trying to avoid doing an update to my OS because my system is running perfect right now. But I'm updating to 10.14 right now. Your workflow is the same as I have been using with my cr2 files with my older cameras. 
    I did buy the Control Ring Adapter. Found one, like new in box with Kondor cap, on eBay for $175.00 as they were not in stock at B&H at the time.
    Thanks for your time and information! 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Photo Egg said:
    It's time to update my primary personal camera. I want to stay with Canon. Currently shooting older model 5D mkii, Full Frame.
    Thinking about going mirrorless with a R5 or R6. Any of you Photo Geeks using these? My main concern is the digital viewfinder. How good is it compared to the standard through the lens system.
    I have the 5dii and had it converted to Infrared by Lifepixel after I purchased the EOSR.
    The electronic viewfinder in the EOS R is one of the best out there. You can see your histogram and make all your adjustments while composing your shot, It’s like live view on steroids. If I were to by another Canon mirrorless I would go with the R6 because I do not need the additional megapixels. One reason I went with he R vs the RP at the time was that the R had a curtain that protects the sensor when changing RF lenses and when the camera is off. If you use the EF adaptor you need to make sure that the camera is off however. The R5 and R6 have higher frame rates and they have improved focus tracking for wildlife. Either camera would be a good upgrade from the 5Dii. 
  • Photo Egg
    dstearn said:
    Photo Egg said:
    I have the 5dii and had it converted to Infrared by Lifepixel after I purchased the EOSR.
    The electronic viewfinder in the EOS R is one of the best out there. You can see your histogram and make all your adjustments while composing your shot, It’s like live view on steroids. If I were to by another Canon mirrorless I would go with the R6 because I do not need the additional megapixels. One reason I went with he R vs the RP at the time was that the R had a curtain that protects the sensor when changing RF lenses and when the camera is off. If you use the EF adaptor you need to make sure that the camera is off however. The R5 and R6 have higher frame rates and they have improved focus tracking for wildlife. Either camera would be a good upgrade from the 5Dii. 
    So far I really like my R5. The focus is so fast and the Eye Detect Focus is amazing. I debated R5 vs R6 for weeks. Ended up going R5 for better moisture seals, stronger frame, higher shutter count and higher resolution view finder. Have no plans for shooting 8k video and the higher resolution is not super important but nice to be able to shoot larger area and crop. I have a candid freelance shoot tonight. I will break it in tonight taking my 5D ii as backup.
    Tempted to pick up a RP as a backup but hate to add another battery format.
    Take care.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas