Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE vs Royal Oak lump charcoal

Options
I barely have 2 years of experience using a large BGE. I now know that at 250 degrees I burn 0.32 pound of lump charcoal per hour using the EggGenius. I love my BGE and all the accessories that I purchased even so it’s pricey. However the cost of BGE charcoal is such that I had to find an other charcoal brand because it’s way too expensive! So after reading posts in this forum, “Royal Oak” was mentioned as a lump charcoal as good as the green bag BGE charcoal. Well it is! It’s oak and hickory, looks the same, burns the same, gets the same result, the ashes look the same, burns at the same rate.... Basically the same product for $11.31 vs $27.00 for 20 pounds! Doing google research also indicated that it is the same lump charcoal. So $16.96 for a 30 pound bag at WM is a great deal for awesome BGE cooking :)

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Most things BGE branded are like that - overpriced versions of something made by someone else.  Some folks just really like the color green I guess.  Don’t get me wrong, I like it too, I just prefer to keep it in my wallet.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike