Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Sauerkraut

Options
So a year or so ago, my grandma (93 yrs old) gave me the gear she and her siblings used to make sauerkraut when they were growing up.  Slicer, tamper and Red Wing clay pot.

My father in law used to make it when he was growing up as a kid as well.  Seeing how we like to do food from scratch it was time to make some Sauerkraut!

3 generations got in on the slicing action which was fun to watch.  Checking the progress was wild as well since it just sat in the clay pot and did it's thing.  A couple weeks later and we had Sauerkraut!  Unfortunately no final ball jar picture but it was super fun and something we'll do again

PS, not sure why pics are out of order.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I've done it.  Homemade sauerkraut is greatness.  Looks like a lot of fun.
    NOLA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    Love it. Priceless!
    canuckland
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    My favorite is fresh sauerkraut, I love it right out of the pickling container.
    Your photos and story are great. It reminded me of my grandmother making 
    sauerkraut, great memories.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Mom tried it, two years in a row, and it wasn't edible.  Glad yours came out!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    That is one nice clay pot!  Thanks for sharing this.

Options
    I love the antique shredder. We make sauerkraut and really enjoy it. A 5 liter crock lasts about a year. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That is so cool. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Bombdiggity!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian