Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: How's It Growin'?

Options

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    I’ve been using “captain jacks” with good success 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Doing great in my front yard
    We're legal to grow and possess now in Virginia.  Four plants per household.  One may possess an ounce. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Doing great in my front yard
    Perfect.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    BSR said:
    This one's actually a bit old but it's the last pic before I took out the cucumbers due to disease. Got plenty to make my fill of pickles for the year though.

I learned about shade cloths this year, man what an improvement.

Cilantro, two kinds of peppers, garlic, soy, all home grown, good use of some fresh stuff if you need another.

First few peppers of the season. I grow over 50 kinds and these little yellow ones (charapita) are my favorite so far.

These were sold as "Korean dark green" but they taste much better red... Definitely the most productive plant I have.

Can't say they taste all that great but fish peppers sure look cool.

UFO

Orange habaneros, although I learned this year to just grow scotch bonnet instead. They're really just a much better habenero with a little less production.

My in deck hydro setup. Need a more recent pic, it's done ok for my first season learning... 

I have a few other things growing too, thai basil being one of my favorites but in case you can't tell I'm obsessed with peppers.
    Say more about the deck hydro setup.  Very cool and would love to see a more recent pic of it
  • BSR
    BSR Posts: 165
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I have a 4 inch PVC tube with holes cut in it and a 2" return line. Currently the tank is under the deck and getting too hot so I'm basically having crop failure although every plant is producing a few pods they look terrible (pics tomorrow).

Next season I will pump the water into my office (glorified shed) and have an indoor tank with a cooler which should solve most of my problems and make service way easier.

It's only my first season trying it and I was very late getting the system running so I'm pretty happy with getting anything out of it and having a good idea of what to fix.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    BSR said:
    I have a 4 inch PVC tube with holes cut in it and a 2" return line. Currently the tank is under the deck and getting too hot so I'm basically having crop failure although every plant is producing a few pods they look terrible (pics tomorrow).

Next season I will pump the water into my office (glorified shed) and have an indoor tank with a cooler which should solve most of my problems and make service way easier.

It's only my first season trying it and I was very late getting the system running so I'm pretty happy with getting anything out of it and having a good idea of what to fix.
    Could you bury your return line use the earth to cool? Or does your dock terminate into a lake or something else you could coil a line in?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• BSR
    Options
    BSR said:

Could you bury your return line use the earth to cool? Or does your dock terminate into a lake or something else you could coil a line in?
    I thought that would be enough and I have it buried along with the feed line and as much of the tank as possible but the water still gets to almost 80 degrees.

Next year the tank will be in AC with a cooler and I'll have a shade net built that awkward length and width.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    What kind of gpm are you running?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• BSR
    Options
    What kind of gpm are you running?
    As advertised almost 30 but I measure more like 12 with all the roots slowing it down. The root rot really clogs it up. It was all good till temps got up there.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Interesting set up thanks for sharing. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Night time bloomers just finished up.

I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• BSR
    Options

are you actually from Alaska? That stuff would have been dead long ago around here...
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    From Alaska? Yes. Currently residing in southern Ohio.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Where are you located?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• BSR
    Options
    Where are you located?
    Hampstead, NC... far enough south that a potato or onion would look like hell by now. I grow a bunch of them and garlic though.
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    @caliking
    beautiful work.  Are the posts in the bed’s corner structural, functional, or a design element? 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Quite a few of these soon.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    @caliking
    beautiful work.  Are the posts in the bed’s corner structural, functional, or a design element? 
    The green (painted) PVC posts are for supporting netting, trellises, and anything else that needs to hang of of something. That's all I know =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sweet100s said:
    @caliking
    The green (painted) PVC posts are for supporting netting, trellises, and anything else that needs to hang of of something. That's all I know =)
    @caliking Do you have a website you got the design/blueprint for that?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sweet100s said:
    @caliking
    @caliking Do you have a website you got the design/blueprint for that?
    We’ve done this before. Vertical section of 1.25” PVC, secured to the inside of the box with pipe straps. One in each corner, and two along each long side of the box. Slid 1” lengths of PVC into these sleeves. Then elbows and cross pieces to span the width of the box. 

PM me, and I’ll be happy to share more details. I’m the grunt labor for these sort of projects, and just do what I’m told to :)

• caliking
    Options
    @saluki2007 meant to post this pic…

• alaskanassasin
    Options

First step to salsa.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Picked Aji Amarillos, habaneros and butternut squash Wednesday. The peppers are in the dehydrator now.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    The guy at the elevator said they are shipping my soybeans to Indonesia.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.