Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium Egg, cooked brisket

Options
Hey all.  I've posted here a few times.  I bought my Medium BGE used a few years ago.   I see where so many of you cook on it almost daily!  I rarely cook on mine...mostly because I'm not that knowledgeable about it...and I'm not a great cook anyways!  Also, now I am an Over-The-Road Trucker so I'm not home often.

So, in a recent SnapChat, I mentioned to my kids that I wanted to smoke a brisket when i got home....mainly because i NEVER cook......I have to eat fast-food ALOT on the road.   I just wanted to cook.....you know, to just cook dinner!   My kids took it as "Hey!!!  Mom's having a party!!!!"  

So I put a lot of pressure on myself!!!  (not to mention I still have to do my laundry, clean my truck, clean out my port o' pot, before i head back out.....is that TMI???).

So, anyways, i want to use my Egg more!  

Luckily, we have a really nice fresh meat market nearby.  So i bought a brisket from the butcher.  I always feel like I am stuffing things in my Med BGE!   I think I got like a 10 # brisket.   I just salt and peppered it, put a little roasted garlic salt and a  little Ancho chili powder.  I didn't make a big crusty bark......ok, cuz I was lazy.

Oh!  And my daughter bought me a Meat Stick Probe thermometer for Christmas, so I wanted to try it out!  That way, I don't have to think so much!  It worked well.  

I put the brisket on around 11 to 11:30 pm last night, thinking it might take a long time.  I think it was done around 9 hours.  I also used an inverted SS bowl to drape the brisket over....because it was so flipping huge in my egg!!!!

I have it wrapped in foil and a towel and sitting in a cooler now.  Hoping it turns out better than the last one, which I rushed....and it was pretty awful!!!  lol

Here are some pics of my 2nd Brisket Cook.  I also had to fold it over....

Sorry...I don't know how to rotate the image.  I suppose I could slice into it, see how it looks.

I appreciate any advice.

Comments

• DrumMum
    DrumMum Posts: 26
    Options
    Update....I just sliced a few pieces off to taste test it.....it is so tender and delicious!  Imagine how good it would be if I put more effort in it...like do an actual spice rub!!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,033
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!  I hope to see you here more and using the BGE.  There are a lot of people who know quite a bit about brisket here (much more than me) so you will for sure receive lots of advice if you ask for it.  

Glad your brisket turned out tender and delicious!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,472
    Options
    @DrumMum Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    I just sent you a PM with some brisket info that you may find helpful.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DrumMum
    DrumMum Posts: 26
    Options
    Awesome, guys!  Thanks!!   I appreciate it lousubcap.  I always feel like my Med Egg is too small!  I'm always trying to cram stuff in it......the few times I use it when I'm home.   And every time, I think, wow!  That was so good, and not as hard as my mind made it out to be!

I told the kids, imagine how good this would have been if I would have put more thought into and actually made a nice dry brisket rub and got a good bark!!  

I do need a new platesetter (i broke one of the legs) and after seeing someone fold over a brisket in a Med (sorry, forget who it was, but his info was super helpful---the 171b briskey), i think I'm going to purchase a WOO.

Ya, I'm still trying to figure out all of the acronyms, too!   I thought there was an EGGvoCabulary here.

Getting ready to hit the road again!