Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled pork belly with sticky sweet sauce

Options
Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
I was looking for something new to try with pork belly. @lousubcap pointed me in the direction of Jess Pryles grilled pork belly with sticky sweet sauce. Thank you Frank!   It did not disappoint and I will be doing this again. Super simple and a fun cook all around. 
I followed the directions, but did put some cherry smoke on them after I switched to the indirect part of the cook. Next time I want to add some heat to it in the form of cayenne. Not much, but enough to get some heat on the back end of the bite. 
Word of warning.  When doing the first part when you are grilling the belly direct - do it in small batches and have a pan nearby to pull them if needed.  That saved me a few times during this cook.  

I topped with some simple slaw.  My wife made an Asian salad, and tried it on the slider. That took it to the next level. 
The meal in pictures. 

Thanks for taking a look!  
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Dang brother. That’s some good eating right there. Up late tonight too. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • BSR
    BSR Posts: 165
    Options
    If you make anything like this you will lose a little appreciation for regular bacon. Looks amazing...
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Bravo!
    Stillwater, MN
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    a.k.a. Burnt Ends always rocks my boat! You did a great job! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That sounds/looks fabulous. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    One more derivative from @Sea2Ski 's test kitchen.  Dang- nailed that cook.  Congratulations across the board.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    That looks great, Mark.  I think I need to try this.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Great looking cook!

I have a belly in my freezer. Duroc, I believe.  I can't wait for the 4th of July and our promised "small gatherings" so I can make a pan of these to share with my Dad and family on his 81st birthday!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I was hoping it was going to be good. It thoroughly exceeded my expectations.  

When you go to do these, make sure you do not move to the indirect portion of the cook too soon. You want them seared well. More like the two which are the most cooked in the picture of them all in the pan, and even a bit more than that. You need some char on them. 

Also, after having 3 leftovers for lunch, they do not suck as leftovers.

@Langner91 great choice. I was thinking of making these for a party now.  The more I think about it, I do not think you would lose any quality by doing the searing portion the day before, and the indirect/mopping part the day of the party. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    @JohnInCarolina I was hoping it was going to be good. It thoroughly exceeded my expectations.  

When you go to do these, make sure you do not move to the indirect portion of the cook too soon. You want them seared well. More like the two which are the most cooked in the picture of them all in the pan, and even a bit more than that. You need some char on them. 

Also, after having 3 leftovers for lunch, they do not suck as leftovers.

@Langner91 great choice. I was thinking of making these for a party now.  The more I think about it, I do not think you would lose any quality by doing the searing portion the day before, and the indirect/mopping part the day of the party. 
    Thanks for the tip, Mark.

I was thinking much like how you used these, it would make for some pretty great banh mi sandwiches.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Oh man. That looks reeeeaaaallllly good!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    caliking said:
    Oh man. That looks reeeeaaaallllly good!
    Tell me you aren’t looking at Johns post just above yours. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Damn that looks good.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    I just happen to have a pork belly in the freezer...
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Looks great Mark! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site