Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor kitchen

Options
Planning an outdoor kitchen that is about to start being built but still with time for changes.  This project started as a way to keep the kiddos away from the BGE and turned into a roofed patio without a BGE lol.  The BGE will be out from under the roof on a paver patio.  I would go without a gasser but I feel it's a necessary part of the outdoor kitchen and easy to cook quick things on for the kids.  Next to the gasser is a griddle both will be hooked up to my homes propane system.  I'm thinking I need at least 14 inches between the two but am limited by the width of the stone wall behind them.  The fridge is gonna be from lowes and will be the same dimension but 1/10th the cost as the fancy outdoor one I refuse to buy at this time.  I'm gonna do an undermount sink (cold water, should I include hot water?) that comes with a built in cutting board to cover the hole.  We have all four seasons where I'm located.  Entire counter will be 14 feet wide, sink -15", grill 32", griddle 30".  The deck itself is 24 feet wide, to the right of the counter are stairs and to the is a slider entrance to my kitchen.  Just looking for guidance from people that have done this stuff before as to things I should add or delete.  

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2021
    Options
    My 2 cents...

A sink is mandatory. Hot water is a much needed luxury. Washing grease off your hands (or anything else) with cold water is an exercise in futility. 

Maximize storage. Add cabinets and drawers every inch you can, including under your griddle. Storage, storage, storage. You'll thank me later. 

Get the largest sink you can reasonably fit. Washing all your oversized cutting boards and other crap outside is pretty nice. And with all that storage you can have dedicated outdoor cookware and prep tools. Less time going back 'n forth inside on a nice day.  

Add multiple electrical outlets in the backsplash for powering blenders (Margaritas anyone?), recharging bluetooth speakers, phones etc. 

Add a BIG access door(s) to all plumbing and gas lines. Crawling into that little door under the sink in your drawing isn't going to work when it comes time for maintenance. Personally, I would also put an access door for the sink on the side. 

Leave areas for ventilation in case of trapped gas. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • dbrasco778
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    My 2 cents...

A sink is mandatory. Hot water is a much needed luxury. Washing grease off your hands (or anything else) with cold water is an exercise in futility. 

Maximize storage. Add cabinets and drawers every inch you can, including under your griddle. Storage, storage, storage. You'll thank me later. 

Get the largest sink you can reasonably fit. Washing all your oversized cutting boards and other crap outside is pretty nice. And with all that storage you can have dedicated outdoor cookware and prep tools. Less time going back 'n forth inside on a nice day.  

Add multiple electrical outlets in the backsplash for powering blenders (Margaritas anyone?), recharging bluetooth speakers, phones etc. 

Add a BIG access door(s) to all plumbing and gas lines. Crawling into that little door under the sink in your drawing isn't going to work when it comes time for maintenance. Personally, I would also put an access door for the sink on the side. 

Leave areas for ventilation in case of trapped gas. 

I'd go bigger on the sink but I'm worried about losing counter space.  The kitchen sink is just inside the slider to the left of the kitchen so washing pans wouldn't be a big issue.  Thanks for the advice on the storage I will order more drawers.  
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Here's my layout, which is about the same size as yours. From left to right - 42" grill, 24" side-burner / griddle combo, warming drawer, 24" insulated sink.

I felt like the sales guy was trying to squeeze pennies out of me by insisting on not leaving dead space in the structure, but he was 100% right. If space is there, use it. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Something else to consider is how you are going to freeze-proof your water lines for winter. Shutoff valves in the basement, assuming you have one, and a connection that you can hook an air hose up to blow them out should work. Or if you shutoff valves are lower, put a drain valve in the basement between the shut off and the sink.

How are you dealing with drain water from the sink? Plumbing it back to the house, or to the ground below the deck? If you have a well definitely consider the affect of what you’re putting down the drain on your ground water?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • dbrasco778
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Here's my layout, which is about the same size as yours. From left to right - 42" grill, 24" side-burner / griddle combo, warming drawer, 24" insulated sink.

I felt like the sales guy was trying to squeeze pennies out of me by insisting on not leaving dead space in the structure, but he was 100% right. If space is there, use it. 

Thanks for the advice I'm gonna add some doors
  • dbrasco778
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Something else to consider is how you are going to freeze-proof your water lines for winter. Shutoff valves in the basement, assuming you have one, and a connection that you can hook an air hose up to blow them out should work. Or if you shutoff valves are lower, put a drain valve in the basement between the shut off and the sink.

How are you dealing with drain water from the sink? Plumbing it back to the house, or to the ground below the deck? If you have a well definitely consider the affect of what you’re putting down the drain on your ground water?
    Haven't met with the plumber yet but I do have a basement right next to this area that is unfinished so the drain will go into my homes plumbing.  The kitchen sink is very close to this structure but being able to wash hands after touching raw meat would be nice and I think I'd regret not having a sink.  

• jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Ok.  I am in ohio also 4 season.  My fridge is from walmart right after back to college clearance sales.  Never bring it it.  However.  I got a piece of marine grade vinyl.  Attached to the inside space above the fridge.  It rolls down in front of the fridge with a sewed loop at the bottom and a piece of steel rod inside for weight.  Keeps the water, snow, dirt, and leaves out when not in use.  And it looks nice opened and closed.  Consider out lets on the end cap.  Rotisserie, blenders, lawn extension cords etc.  Consider a marine grade boat/motorcycle radio and speakers if not bringing it from outside.  Consider low voltage lighting under the countertop lip.  Makes a tremendous difference.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • dbrasco778
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    Ok.  I am in ohio also 4 season.  My fridge is from walmart right after back to college clearance sales.  Never bring it it.  However.  I got a piece of marine grade vinyl.  Attached to the inside space above the fridge.  It rolls down in front of the fridge with a sewed loop at the bottom and a piece of steel rod inside for weight.  Keeps the water, snow, dirt, and leaves out when not in use.  And it looks nice opened and closed.  Consider out lets on the end cap.  Rotisserie, blenders, lawn extension cords etc.  Consider a marine grade boat/motorcycle radio and speakers if not bringing it from outside.  Consider low voltage lighting under the countertop lip.  Makes a tremendous difference.  
    Thanks there is going to be a roof over all of this so with the exception of the rare sideways rain thunderstorm everything should be dry unless there is bad thunderstorm.  I will make sure there are plenty of outlets.  I'm thinking I'm going to extend the counter space a bit.  I bought some outdoor speakers that I'm going to have installed.  A cover that shields everything might be a good idea for the dead of winter.  
  • SonVolt
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    Consider low voltage lighting under the countertop lip.  Makes a tremendous difference.  

How did you route your lighting? 

I would love to add some LED strip lights under the countertop, but - the sink is "farmhouse style" in that there is no countertop lip in front of it, same for the grill and burner. 
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Call me.  9376050681
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Consider a small instant hot water heater under sink, only heat water you use
  • SonVolt
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    Call me.  9376050681

Just saw this. I'd rather keep it out in the open if possible so others can learn from this thread. 
  • jdMyers
    edited March 2021
    Options
    No worries it was just lengthy.  To sum it up.  If you havnt done the countertop yet.  Allow a 2 inch overhang on front and sides approx.  This will allow space for undermount lowvoltage lights.  You can also mount these low shooting upward.  They add so much to the look visibility.  Without the plate they are 1/2 in and come 3,6,9 inch etc in length.  I took the plates off and mounted them along a ridge of vinyl siding near entrances

Columbus, Ohio
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    No worries it was just lengthy.  To sum it up.  If you havnt done the countertop yet.  Allow a 2 inch overhang on front and sides approx.  This will allow space for undermount lowvoltage lights.  You can also mount these low shooting upward.  They add so much to the look visibility.  Without the plate they are 1/2 in and come 3,6,9 inch etc in length.  I took the plates off and mounted them along a ridge of vinyl siding near entrances

You can get 3/4" wide led light strips nowadays ... perfectly fit under the typical 1" overhang allowed for on tops.  Can be glued on with a few dabs of silicon here and there.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • SonVolt
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Yeah, the LED strip lights seem like a good option for undercounter lighting. I'm  just not sure how to span across the grill and sink that don't have a countertop lip. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Don’t forget the paper towel holder.  ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Is the counter top already installed
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
    If so put flush lights in the grass and up light it.  This is a crude over exposed shot and an actual

Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Lights are 1 inch round.  

Recessed LED Deck Light Kits with Protecting Shell φ32mm, SMY In Ground Outdoor LED Landscape Lighting IP67 Waterproof, 12V Low Voltage for Garden, Yard Steps, Stair, Patio, Floor, Kitchen Decoration - - Amazon.com
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Yep, counter is installed. We've had it for several years. It opens up into the pool so no up-lights are possible. I guess I could do individual under-mount lights along the perimeter instead of one continuous strip light. I would just have to drill holes in the mortar to run the wires. 
  • jdMyers
    Options
    I was under impression it was a new build due to the computer rendition above.  post some actual photos.  We can help you figure it out.  whats the floor?  grass, decking?
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    I don't know if I'd put up lighters on the work side of the kitchen ... I have some for landscaping, and any time you walk past, you get light in your face ... very annoying.  

If you can manage it ... they have LED strips that you can join together in lengths, or connect with a lead in between them.  So if you hook up to a power source, run them where you have the lip, then go inside the cabinet with the lead (drill a little hole) and come out the other side of the sink to carry on.

Something like this ... and these guys do make longer connection leads ... although you'd probably want something with a smaller connector to get through a drilled hole.

https://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Pre-Cut-Flexible-Changing-Connectors/dp/B07NWFVRY4/ref=sr_1_51?dchild=1&keywords=led+light+strips&qid=1615498240&sr=8-51

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,866
    Options
    Can I just say that this thread is by far my least favourite.   I can't help but look at it and get sadder every time.   
    You guys have the weather, the space, outdoor living culture - everything.  
    We have rain and a 3 non-sequential day Summer.  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Where are you located?
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,866
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Where are you located?
    England.   Not even a good bit, either.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • jdMyers
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Be interesting to see what you come up with
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SonVolt
    Options
    ColbyLang said:

This is my setup. Sink is an absolute must. My XL is in a nest due to me moving it around depending on wind/weather. 32” 3 burner Blaze grill with a Blaze Pro series burner. Put more lighting than you think you’ll need, but on dimmers. And add twice as many outlets. 

Beautify place. Did you paint your home's brick during construction or was it painted some years later?  We've been toying with the idea of painting ours. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,434
    Options
    Thanks. Painted it when we added the patio. Couldn’t find exact replacement bricks for the top of the wall above the windows when we removed the roof eaves to tie in.

my wife always wanted to paint it anyway. Fortunately we have a very shallow mortar line 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I’m going to PM you some questions a bit later.