Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sugarless Cure

Options
I’m toying with the idea of doing a pastrami or corned beef without sugar in the brine. I stopped eating sugar right around the first of the year, so I thought this would be a worthwhile endeavor to enjoy some of my favorite home cured meats. I can find no scientific reason why sugar cannot be left out of a brine or cure. Sure it probably helps to have some sweetness to counteract the saltiness, but in a properly equalized brine, saltiness shouldn’t be a huge issue. 

What do the meat curing gurus here say? 

Comments

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Sugar retains moisture. It’s hygroscopic

a country ham would be a prosciutto if it weren’t for the sugar
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Takes the edge off the saltiness also...I would think you could omit it and wold change the flavor a bit, it won’t affect the cure as long as you have thei right salt....if it were me, I’d do an EQ cure vs brine and give it a go since you are not dry curing it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I’ve used the Stevia/monk fruit type substitutes for the flavor side with good results. 

Greensboro, NC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    look up cures for montreal smoked meat, similar to pastrami but little to no sugar. the recipes ive seen are like 1 tbsp for a full packer brisket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You don't need the sugar.  But don't expect the same results if you are replacing the sugar with salt.  (so if you use x amount of 50/50 salt/sugar, don't replace the sugar with salt, but use the same amount of salt - x/2).