Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef cheeks in buns with pics 🐮 🍔

Options
Hey. Just thought I’d shame some photos from Sunday. I did these for the first time back in the summer 
https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1225225/beef-cheeks-pulled-pics-🥩#latest

4hrs smoked with apple wood. Then about 3hours covered in foil in an onion and gravy bath. All at 135c. 

Love em with some beetroot slaw, mustard, pickle and hot sauce

Comments

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Interesting, I would love to try that, never had that cut.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,980
    Options
    Oh he11 yes!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Beef cheeks, when trimmed properly are wonderful. I would have loved to have those served to me as a meal. Great job! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fantastic!

Anyone tried braising them (or whatever process used to get them tender) and then removing the membranes?  
    Options
    Great cook and outcome right there.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I wish people would stop sharing beef cheek cooks. Dang it y'all - there's only two per cow and they aren't very big. There's plenty to go around as long as they remain obscure and undetected. Once everybody knows how good they are - well phooey - we'll have trouble finding them or the $$$ will skyrocket.

(No know I'm kidding - kind of....)

Great cook. Clearly I love beef cheeks. When cooked well they are the definition of meaty, moist, and tender.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,980
    Options
    Does SRF sell beef cheeks?  Asking for a friend...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    For people who haven’t cooked these before - they’re a bit like mini briskets in flavour. Last time I got them they required a lot of trimming - took me about 10 mins each but was my first time. This time they were already trimmed for some reason. Didn’t complain!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    My problem with trimming is I'm a perfectionist.  I can't bear to throw away any viable red meat with the scraps so I'm trying to be as precise as a brain surgeon excising a tumor.

On the other side of the spectrum are folks that end up with a slab of meat that looks like they hacked away with an electric knife and blindfold. 

Classic study on the latter is when @Focker hacked away at a brisket until most of it was in the trash.  Exasperated, he threw the rest away and labeled briskets as "over-rated".
    edited March 2021
    Options
    wow yum - you can just tell that is OoOOzZZzZZin with flavor.  At a restaurant I have ordered beef cheeks & loved it, for some reason I have it catagorized as "restaurant dish" rather than a "make at home" dish . . might have to re-think that.  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • JackOrion
    Options
    I found a killer recipe for beef tongue and cheek in a cookbook co written by Bruce Aidell, the founder of aidell’s sausage. They call it S.O.B. Stew. Made it many times and it never disappoints. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Just bought a package of these last trip to the butcher shop. Cant wait to try them.
    Yours look fantastic.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I would love to hear about a tongue stuffed cheek dish. I'm totally at a loss of what you would call it.  Call the marketing guys!
    Options
    Totally new concept!
    Yummy looking cook
    Thanks for posting
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap