Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips and tricks - what’s the key to your cook?

Options
Hey all -

As discussed on another thread - we don’t post cooks that have been repeated a few times. For new folks and forum regulars, I’d like to start a thread that captures one key piece of advice instead of posting an entire cook. 

For instance - chicken wings. We all know raised direct, 375-400 or the ten other variants.

What’s interesting- I have an indicator I use to know when they are ready. 

When they tear away from the bone, they are done. For instance:

See that skin tear on the flapper, in the middle? Or the tear on the drummette near the thin end - that’s when they are done

here’s a picture of a flapper that isn’t done-

Looks fine, but isn’t done. 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I don't have any "here's the finish-line trust me" pics- I don't archive any cook pics.  The key for me is the finish-line feel (L&S) with a probe, (toothpick for any rib cook) (given I generally use an instant read stick for other than ribs)) I can then see temperature.  The speed of the thermo does not matter with low&slow cooks as the measure of the finish is the feel.  Now, when caveman or otherwise going hot&fast the speed is important as time on the heat can change the results in short order.  
    The major key is sufficient adult supervisory beverages to ensure I am at the proper orbit (or beyond) to handle the key to nailing the finish.  I have been known to miss-judge the finish-line on several occasions.
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,489
    Options
    Great idea for a thread, Sum (is it Sum O'Connell, or Sumo Connell?)  

And your cheekun wing hint is something I'm not familiar with, and will try that next cook (with four wings pre-skin-split as a control group).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Mine is a tip. I never use a plate setter unless I have covered it with foil so that I can rip it off before my next use. 

Some here say that crud will burn off, but why have the stink of that crap burning off ruining the taste of your food? 

But then it’s your egg, your food so pass me by! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Botch said:

And your cheekun wing hint is something I'm not familiar with, and will try that next cook (with four wings pre-skin-split as a control group).  
    I root for Terunofuji, a rikishi performing at the highest level division while dealing with diabetes. If you are at all interested in Sumo, the next tournament will be held in Tokyo starting Sunday 03/14/2021 and ending Sunday 03/28/2021.  Broadcast highlights on NHK World. Not a cooking tip, sorry @sumoconnell.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mine is a tip. I never use a plate setter unless I have covered it with foil so that I can rip it off before my next use. 

Some here say that crud will burn off, but why have the stink of that crap burning off ruining the taste of your food? 

I take it 1 step further with a drip pan set on top of the deflector plate. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    RRP said:

I then cover the drip pan with foil so I can rip it off and use the drip pan again
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    RRP said:

I then cover the drip pan with foil so I can rip it off and use the drip pan again
    Even one step further here. I cover the AF that covers the AF that covers the drip pan that sits on air gap spacers that sit on the AF that covers the PS 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited February 2021
    Options
    deleted. apology to OP
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Does anyone cover the entire inside of their dome with foil?  Because that would be next-level right there.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    edited February 2021
    Options
    deleted. apology to OP
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Not really a tip but a question re the so called bend test. How does bend test work on half racks?
    canuckland
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    😉
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You guys are ridiculous.  Just wrap all the food in foil or braise EVERYTHING IN A PAN.

voila.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I use 2 layers of HDAF with vent holes punched in it to cover the entire fire bowl. It’s my hack for a KAB.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    You guys are ridiculous.  Just wrap all the food in foil or braise EVERYTHING IN A PAN.

voila.
    Or... and I’m just spitballing here: InstaPot
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Pro tip: get the egg stabilized with thin blue smoke rolling then fire up the gasser and cook on it. I never have to clean my eggs 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I’ll share the very best hack for keeping the Egg clean: do not use it. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited March 2021
    Options

Real Men of Genius: Mr. Never Has Taken Food Pictures
    Focus (so to speak) on the prepping/cooking/drinking/eating/socializing and not spend precious time taking pictures.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,111
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Botch said:

I root for Terunofuji, a rikishi performing at the highest level division while dealing with diabetes. If you are at all interested in Sumo, the next tournament will be held in Tokyo starting Sunday 03/14/2021 and ending Sunday 03/28/2021.  Broadcast highlights on NHK World. Not a cooking tip, sorry @sumoconnell.
    When I lived in Japan, my mom loved attending Sumo matches.  I never was able to attend unfortunately.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Does anyone cover the entire inside of their dome with foil?  Because that would be next-level right there.
    I individually wrap each piece of lump.  Makes lighting difficult, but always a clean fire.

Joking aside; I wrap my drip pan, but not plate setter.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    If you stir a little coconut oil into your kale, it makes it easier to scrape it into the trash.
    Kale makes a very good curry.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Sorry, just got to @Legume 's post.  Back to business.

1. Tiny adjustments
    2. If temp is stable before protein, do not adjust after adding protein.  It will come back to equilibrium.
    3.  Either measure grate or dome temp do not mix & match.  You will run yourself batty.
    4. It is BBQ, not french cuisine.  +/-15 deg is fine.  Your oven goes up and down by 25 deg.  Don't stress.
    5. Have fun and try something new.  Worst thing is you order some pizza instead.