Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mission BBQ coming to town...so?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890
They have built a fancy new building on a busy street. Although being highly visible there is no ingress nor egress so getting there means taking side streets and dealing with stop lights and turn lanes. In spite of that of course if their product is good then getting there is moot. Any opinions anybody wants to share?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    We have a few in our area. Got takeout from there once about a year ago. It's all right but nothing that I felt was worth raving about. Worth checking out the food and many will likely enjoy the decor.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    What type of smoker are they using? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    You can crank out better Q.  I gave it one test run in L'ville.  I put it up there in their business circle like Goodwill Industries- at the end of the day it is a business and yes it does good things for service organizations but you can support those upfront.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    It's not going to compete with a true local bbq "destination" spot, but it's highly competent and very consistent.  Be there at noon for the National Anthem.  They catered my daughter's high school grad party.  Went well.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • sdiperna
    Options
    Echo to be there for National Anthem, I saw a few WWII vets stand up and salute. Awesome sight. BBQ ok at best.
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Here in Virginia they are pretty average I think. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    RRP said:
    They have built a fancy new building on a busy street. Although being highly visible there is no ingress nor egress so getting there means taking side streets and dealing with stop lights and turn lanes. In spite of that of course if their product is good then getting there is moot. Any opinions anybody wants to share?
    What I like about them is you can get the brisket two ways...  moist is the choice.  It's very good.
    They always have military vehicle out front with a log smoldering in it, but I think all the meat is cooked in electric smokers in the kitchen.  Gives them a consistent product. 
    Here is the thing... is it going to be the best BBQ you've ever had? No.  But, how many times have you been to an independently owned BBQ place folks rave about and be served dry meat? Because this is a franchise they have it down to a pretty good routine for both smoking the meat and holding it for service.  So give it a try. They also have a large sauce selection so you can find something to fit your taste.

LBGE/Maryland
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    You can crank out better Q.  I gave it one test run in L'ville.  I put it up there in their business circle like Goodwill Industries- at the end of the day it is a business and yes it does good things for service organizations but you can support those upfront.  FWIW-
    This is as on point as it gets. Tried it once on the road, enough for me to realize I have better ‘Q in freezer bags back home. The folks in this forum have ruined me when it is about great ‘Q. I have learned from them, to make it as good as it gets.

I remember when I used to drive to inconvenient locations, to purchase mediocre fare, with expensive liquor tabs. Now I just come to your house. You have been warned.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    lousubcap said:
    This is as on point as it gets. Tried it once on the road, enough for me to realize I have better ‘Q in freezer bags back home. The folks in this forum have ruined me when it is about great ‘Q. I have learned from them, to make it as good as it gets.

I remember when I used to drive to inconvenient locations, to purchase mediocre fare, with expensive liquor tabs. Now I just come to your house. You have been warned.
    You make a good point that I don't always consider. Sometimes I resist buying a packer because of the price of it (it's $5/lbs. near me), but, if I get a nice platter at a solid BBQ joint and a couple drinks... for the same $ I could've bought a whole packer and fed a dozen.
    Being honest though, my brisket success percentage isn't above 70%, but it's always edible. :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • CMH88
    CMH88 Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm in Maryland, which has very few legit BBQ spots. Mission is the best I can get and is pretty consistent. I've cooked ~5 briskets with mixed results. It's hard to beat the convenience factor though. $10 for a 7.5/10 compared to a $50 packer that take 12+ hours to cook and cool. All of that for a 50/50 shot to have a better brisket is not worth it to me. I can only eat so much brisket chili when it's a miss!
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @CMH88 My office is 2 or 3 miles from their HQ in Glen Burnie.  Nothing wrong with stopping in for lunch with some co-workers.  Maybe the Q is not up to our home-cook standards, but I guaranty it's better than what the "average Joe" is cooking-up on his gasser.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Took one of my team members to lunch at MB.  Looking around at the various nearby lunch options - nothing wrong with slices of smoked turkey, cole slaw, and a hunk of corn bread.  Yes, I sang at noon.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Took one of my team members to lunch at MB.  Looking around at the various nearby lunch options - nothing wrong with slices of smoked turkey, cole slaw, and a hunk of corn bread.  Yes, I sang at noon.
    Did you have to take side streets, go through stoplights to get there?
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Legume said:
    Did you have to take side streets, go through stoplights to get there?
    LOL
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    The food is good, but not outstanding. (the burnt ends are not on the menu, but are very good) The service is very good. I appreciate the fact that they honor public safety folks and the military. The national anthem at noon is great! 

Much better than your average franchise restaurant!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    The food is good, but not outstanding. (the burnt ends are not on the menu, but are very good) The service is very good. I appreciate the fact that they honor public safety folks and the military. The national anthem at noon is great! 

Much better than your average franchise restaurant!
    This is all true.  Can you do better?  Sure.  But it is much better than a lot of fast food/fast casual spots and it is a solid option to have in your lunch/take out rotation. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD