Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little Griddle on BGE

Options
Any tips on using the Little Griddle on a BGE:

Do I heat up the BGE first and then put on the Little Griddle? 
What BGE temperature? 300-350?
Read that it's best to close the lower vent after reaching temp?

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I didn’t like the griddle that I have on my kamado Joe. I used it once for smash burgers and the thing flared up crazy bad. I bought a blackstone shortly after that and haven’t pulled the griddle out of the cabinet since then. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I don’t have that griddle but before I bought a Blackstone I used a Lodge cast iron griddle on my egg. It did splatter a little which should not be a bad as that griddle with sides to reduce some of that (just looked them up, had never heard of them before).

I would get my egg going then add the griddle to heat up for a bit and ensure it’s stabilized. When grilling I would keep the lower vent closed to reduce airflow so you can avoid a roaring fire. When I grill on my egg the bottom vent is always shut while the lid is open. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I don’t own one but if you search for Kettle Q you will get a bunch of results.  Here is a thread that seems like good info 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2254869#Comment_2254869

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited February 2021
    Options
    They made several versions of this in different sizes and some were thicker and had more support cross members on the bottom and did better at higher temps.
    Yes, if you cook with the dome open temps can get out of hand. So I normally close lower vent.
    I have used mine twice. For most of what I cook, I prefer cast iron of some kind. Griddle like @Cornholio posted or a Lodge skillet to the size I need.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Blueberry pancakes are the best on a cast iron griddle plate, vent closed dome open
    Columbus, Ohio
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Thanks folks!
    Welcome to the forum, by the way!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I don’t own one but if you search for Kettle Q you will get a bunch of results.  Here is a thread that seems like good info 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2254869#Comment_2254869
    I like my KettleQ, though like several other eggcessories I seldom use it anymore - but this thread got me to wanting to use it again...now where is it? garage, basement, attic =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited February 2021
    Options
    pay close attention to open dome cooking while the bottom vent is shut.  those blackstones are the way to go though, i use the 17 inch but should have bought the 22. being able to adjust temps while you cook makes it worth it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • IrrationalMan
    Options
    Thanks everyone, appreciate all the tips! Yeah I wanted to make some homemade Philly Cheesesteaks + buy yet another accessory ;) but it sounds like I should've gone for the blackstones, i'll give it a shot though.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

Thanks folks!
    Welcome to the forum, by the way!
    I can't see post count on mobile by default.  Wish it would come back. 

Welcome! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options

Thanks folks!
    I have a Little Griddle for my large BGE.  I really like it, although they only thing I regularly use it for these days is smashburgers.  They make a mess inside and the house smells for days... and they are awesome on the egg.  I always want to use it for breakfast, cheesesteaks and Japanese hibachi style cooking, but I rarely do.

That said, I use it like any other accessory.  Once the egg is lit (not heated) I put the little griddle on the egg and close it up.  Let everything get up to temp.  I don't monitor the temp too closely, but I suppose I'm cooking at dome just under 400.  I will put a little water on the griddle to gauge the surface temp.  If the water quickly beads up then it's just right for cooking.  If it immediately turns to vapor than it's too hot.  And if it just lays there in a puddle... not hot enough.

Just like most cooking on the egg, between any food adjustments I always close the lid to let a little of the egg essence (lump flavor) get into the food.

If I had room for a blackstone, it'd be an easier and better solution for my needs than the Kettle-Q, but since I don't use it that much as it is, it's perfect. One tip I got early was to put a layer of folded paper towels in the grease trough before you start cooking.  Makes clean-up easier.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I agree with @kitertodd above.  Also, depending on what you’re cooking you’ll need to keep a close eye on the drip trough, it fills quicker than you’d think.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD