Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Tritip and Shrimp Scampi Oh My

Options
So as the weather has gotten better I finally got around to cooking one of the prime tritips I picked up at Costco along with some shrimp scampi. Had dinner for friends that were on the road all day driving home from FL.  Managed to get one picture before the chaos started.  I used to cook choice tritips all the time but switched to hanger steaks because they were half the price and more readily available.  The prime tritip was much beefier than the hangers I normally cook.  Now if I can just find them again.  Shrimp scampi over angel hair was awesome also.

Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,510
    Options
    Your cooks always excel and this is right there.  Looks great-perfect money shot finish!  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,270
    Options
    Tri-tip and shrimp is a regular surf and turf dinner here. I go SRF black with Albikurky Red on the tri-tip and green lightning shrimp. Killer combo.
    Mountain View, CA
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    I don’t think that I ever had tritip.  I can mail order some from Costco now at about twice the price of prime rib.  Is it worth trying?

edited February 2021
    Options
    paqman said:
    I don’t think that I ever had tritip.  I can mail order some from Costco now at about twice the price of prime rib.  Is it worth trying?
    Most butchers (even my local grocery store) can cut you one. It’s worth asking before paying shipping.....and yes it is worth trying. Very beefy flavor and tender. I sear on the front side and then roast till desired temp. Others take the opposite approach. Both methods most certainly yield greatness. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @paqman It is definitely worth trying.  I used to get certified angus tritips that a local butcher saved for me.  The prime ones I picked up at Costco are more tender and flavorful than the ones I got from the local butcher.  I paid $9.99lb for the primes and they were 100% meat with no fat loss. There is only one on each sirloin section so it is a rare cut in most stores.  Put it on your list, a very flavorful meal.   I dropped it in the sous vide tank frozen for 2 1/2 hours then heavily seasoned and on the egg at 450-500 for a few minutes.  Perfect, even great leftovers last night.

Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Tritip question.  Has anyone just grilled it like a steak?  I am not very experienced at reverse sear.  I have one in the freezer that I want to cook, just not sure the best route to take.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    paqman said:
    Opinions may vary, but no way would I pay twice as much for a tri-tip than I would a rib roast. Now, if you've never tried it there is some value in doing a tri-tip, but if it's twice the cost I'm going with prime rib ten out of ten times.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,863
    Options
    Tritip question.  Has anyone just grilled it like a steak?  I am not very experienced at reverse sear.  I have one in the freezer that I want to cook, just not sure the best route to take.
    @Hook_emHornsfan_74, it is thicker than a steak. It is typically a small 2-3 lb roast.  As a result, if you just cook it hot, you will end up with a lot of brown peripheral meat before the very center hits medium rare.  Just do a forward sear.  Or just roast it at a reasonably low temp and don’t worry so much about the sear/crust.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    paqman said:
    Most butchers (even my local grocery store) can cut you one. It’s worth asking before paying shipping.....and yes it is worth trying. Very beefy flavor and tender. I sear on the front side and then roast till desired temp. Others take the opposite approach. Both methods most certainly yield greatness. 
    It is difficult to get cuts of meats that are not popular here in the GWN.  Hell, I sometimes have a hard time getting decent pork butts. 🤷‍♂️

Options
    paqman said:
    Opinions may vary, but no way would I pay twice as much for a tri-tip than I would a rib roast. Now, if you've never tried it there is some value in doing a tri-tip, but if it's twice the cost I'm going with prime rib ten out of ten times.
    That’s what I was thinking but I am curious now, I think that I will give it a shot.