Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobster suggestions

Options
Doing surf and turf tomorrow. I’ve never cooked a lobster tail on the BGE before. Any suggestions?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Here's a quick recipe I use:

Raised grid-direct around 350*F-

4-6 lobster tails

Combine the following:

¼ cup EVOO

one chopped garlic clove

¼ cup fresh lemon juice

Salt to taste (light amount)

Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Split tails length-wise. Brush mixture onto the flesh side of the tails.  Put lobster on grill, flesh side down for around 5 mins (good grill marks), flip to shell side down to finish (1-2 mins) Remove when lobster is opaque and shell is orange. 135-140*F for the finish temp.  FWIW-

Also give Google a search if you want to cook the tails with the meat sitting on the shell.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Here's a quick recipe I use:

Raised grid-direct around 350*F-

4-6 lobster tails

Combine the following:

¼ cup EVOO

one chopped garlic clove

¼ cup fresh lemon juice

Salt to taste (light amount)

Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Split tails length-wise. Brush mixture onto the flesh side of the tails.  Put lobster on grill, flesh side down for around 5 mins (good grill marks), flip to shell side down to finish (1-2 mins) Remove when lobster is opaque and shell is orange. 135-140*F for the finish temp.  FWIW-

Also give Google a search if you want to cook the tails with the meat sitting on the shell.

Cap, do you prefer split shells as above, or do you cut the shell on top and pull the meat out and rest on top of the shell?  I usually do that, but just splitting seems easier.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • NorthEgg
    Options
    If you are not committed to egging the lobster, I would recommend the sous vide process if you have one. I have used the recipe from the Cooks Illustrated Sous Vide book. It effectively produces perfectly cooked butter poached lobster. Pretty easy process. If interested I will try and find it

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - If I'm just in it for the eats then I go split shell all the time, quicker as well.  If the extremely rare occasion when I feel like stylin' then I will go with the meat on the shell.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    NorthEgg said:
    If you are not committed to egging the lobster, I would recommend the sous vide process if you have one. I have used the recipe from the Cooks Illustrated Sous Vide book. It effectively produces perfectly cooked butter poached lobster. Pretty easy process. If interested I will try and find it

I would love to see the recipe if you could dig it up.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I am the renegade around here.  Lou, close to yours, but I ditch the shell completely.  Split both side of the shell and remove the lobster whole.  Light coat of EVOO and a touch of S&P if desired.  Set egg for direct and 300 - 350 degrees.  Prepare melted butter adding a touch of garlic salt and lemon juice.  Add just a dab of sriracha if you want a little kick.  Grill the tails turning frequently.  If you don't like them curling up, you can skewer them.  Baste on a regular basis until done - about 3-5 minutes depending on heat and size. 

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I use kitchen shears and cut down the back of the shell , then pull the meat out to let it sit on top of the shell, still attached at the end. It's easy to do it that way. Then I egg them at 350 ish degree dome and brush a few times with melted butter mixed with tarragon or whatever herbs you like, plus S & P. I flip for a few minutes to get a little char on them, but that is your choice. It's a straight forward way to cook lobster tails.

This is how I do it....Great presentation.   Learned it when I cooked at a seafood restaurant.   I probably cooked at least 5,000 of these over the course of 5 years.
    Options
    I probably cooked at least 5,000 of these over the course of 5 years.
    You are lying. I have it on good authority that at most you cooked 4,999  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    NorthEgg said:

Thanks for mentioning the book. I have placed an order for it.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    ...and I didn't "cook" them....I "chef-ed" 'em.
    Options
    SGH said:
    ...and I didn't "cook" them....I "chef-ed" 'em.
    Sorry, you cooked the first 4,000. Then you chef'd em.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I’ve been doing it wrong.  I cut out the membrane on the bottom side of the tail and then brush it with herb butter as I grill it, butter stays in the shell.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Legume said:
    I’ve been doing it wrong.  I cut out the membrane on the bottom side of the tail and then brush it with herb butter as I grill it, butter stays in the shell.
    Presentation points = 0.0
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I probably do it wrong too because I serve with a ramekin of butter for dipping.
    Options
    I probably do it wrong too because I serve with a ramekin of butter for dipping.

Angioplasty 9/10
    Options
    I end up chopping it for tacos 9/10, but I buy the 4oz ones, don’t trust myself with the big boys.
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    NorthEgg said:

YES PLEASE!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• NorthEgg
    Options
    Sorry about the picture quality. I'm not at home right now and don't have physical access to the book.