Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roccbox for $350?

Options
Worth it? Grabbed a new one locally from someone on Facebook today. Was new in box and I was able to register it. I have black stone ovens, wasn’t looking for one, but figured price was pretty good. Anyone have experience with the black stone and roccbox to compare? I was actually looking for a koda 16 when I found this one. 

Comments

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Some pics from the last pizzas on Sunday cooked on the Blackstone.  We are kind of a NY style (ish) kind of family.  Although I cook them at about 700 measured on the two stones.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Should be a great travel cooker. For the price you paid, play around with it. If you don’t like it, sell it. You shouldn’t loose money.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Should be a great travel cooker. For the price you paid, play around with it. If you don’t like it, sell it. You shouldn’t loose money.
    I think that’s the plan I am going to employ. I currently have two blackstone ovens, I am going to sell one I think while people are still desperately looking for them. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's a great score.  I paid 600 for mine.
    That's a great score.  I paid 600 for mine.
    Did yours come with the wood burner, or just gas? For some reason I thought it had both. Mine only had gas with it. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Both.  If you want a wood burner, you can have mine for shipping. 
    Both.  If you want a wood burner, you can have mine for shipping. 
    It’s a deal if you’re looking to shed it. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    IMO it's worthless.  JIC came to the same conclusion.  PM me your address and I'll get you a shipping quote.   May take a while, will ship next time I go to my office which was like twice in the past 10 months.
    Options
    I tried pellets and cutting the wood small enough was a PITA, and I never could get to temp.  Although I suppose I could have read up on it.
    Options
    But I would be happy to send to you.
    Appreciate the offer.  After reading up a bit, I think your sentiment is common.  I think I will stick with the gas burner, or if the itch strikes, buy their new wood burner 2.0 version for a benjamin.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Appreciate the offer.  After reading up a bit, I think your sentiment is common.  I think I will stick with the gas burner, or if the itch strikes, buy their new wood burner 2.0 version for a benjamin.
    The thing is... Neapolitan pies are cooking in 90 seconds.  They're just not in the chamber long enough to pick up any smoke.  So, why not just fire with gas?  

To me the wood burner only makes sense if you plan to take the thing camping and don't want to cart the gas burner and a small tank out into the woods with you.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    The thing is... Neapolitan pies are cooking in 90 seconds.  They're just not in the chamber long enough to pick up any smoke.  So, why not just fire with gas?  

To me the wood burner only makes sense if you plan to take the thing camping and don't want to cart the gas burner and a small tank out into the woods with you.  
    Yep, agreed.  Its a toy to play with for me really.  I have been cooking blackstone pizzas for a really long time, its dead simple, and works really well.  But, I think I would want to tinker here.  I may give up on the idea after I give the oven a run a few times with gas.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It's a totally different beast than the Blackstone.  They are mutually exclusive in what they do.  
    Options
    It's a totally different beast than the Blackstone.  They are mutually exclusive in what they do.  
    Does he mean a blackstone pizza oven?  I have one and they work quite well
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    GlennM said:
    Does he mean a blackstone pizza oven?  I have one and they work quite well
    Yes. 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder if the goal of Blackstone was some internal inside joke to design the ugliest home appliance ever. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Sometimes I wonder if the goal of Blackstone was some internal inside joke to design the ugliest home appliance ever. 
    It is a strange thing, because there actually are some aspects of it that really appeal to me.  It's too bad it wasn't made a little more reliably back in the day, and that they're not still making it.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    They do work well

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario