Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Siberian Slapping

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,486
I have NO idea how EweTube selects videos "Recommended For You".  Oddly fascinating, 'specially since football is mostly done.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjo-8kGe2qw

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Like a train wreck I couldn’t stop watching- I have this odd feeling the beginnings of this sport included a vodka bottle or two. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Check out "schwingen" while you're at it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    I have NO idea how EweTube selects videos "Recommended For You". 
    It selects them using an algorithm based on your prior viewing history and everything Google knows about you.   It is suggesting videos that it thinks you will watch for extended durations of time, because it is designed with one purpose: to keep you engaged with YouTube.

If you haven't watched it yet, Botch, check out the documentary titled "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Botch said:
    It selects them using an algorithm based on your prior viewing history and everything Google knows about you.   It is suggesting videos that it thinks you will watch for extended durations of time, because it is designed with one purpose: to keep you engaged with YouTube.

If you haven't watched it yet, Botch, check out the documentary titled "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix.  
    I plan to watch that movie, but I guess I’m waiting for FB to recommend it to me.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:

I plan to watch that movie, but I guess I’m waiting for FB to recommend it to me.
    Their algorithm is designed to keep you engaged in social media so you'll never get that recommendation.

Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:

Their algorithm is designed to keep you engaged in social media so you'll never get that recommendation.

Well, it must either not be true or not be important if nobody in my friend group is watching.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Botch said:

Well, it must either not be true or not be important if nobody in my friend group is watching.
    Adssettings.google.com  shows what Google thinks you are. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Botch
    edited February 2021
    Options
    sumoconnell said:

Thanks for posting that, very interesting!  Mine showed one error (Marital Status: Married) and two omissions: nothing about Siberian Slapping, nor aquarium pumps (which I'm still seeing ads for; I don't have an aquarium, and my inflatable mermaid was tossed years ago).   =)     

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    sumoconnell said:

Thanks for posting that, very interesting!  Mine showed one error (Marital Status: Married) and two omissions: nothing about Siberian Slapping, nor aquarium pumps (which I'm still seeing ads for; I don't have an aquarium, and my inflatable mermaid was tossed years ago).   =)     
    Again, these settings indicate what types of ads you're likely to see when you watch a YouTube video, not what kinds of YouTube videos will be recommended to you, necessarily.  

The algorithms are based on very large data sets.  Somewhere out there in data space, you present as being close to people who were inclined to click on Siberian Slapping videos.  The algorithm appears to have gotten you reasonably pegged, because... you actually ended up watching a video on a topic you weren't searching for.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Botch, did you recently purchase a 3" diameter exhaust tip for your German car?
    Options
    @nolaegghead - I believe those are only sold to registered owners of Japanese models =) .  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Options
    Botch said:
    sumoconnell said:

Again, these settings indicate what types of ads you're likely to see when you watch a YouTube video, not what kinds of YouTube videos will be recommended to you, necessarily.  

The algorithms are based on very large data sets.  Somewhere out there in data space, you present as being close to people who were inclined to click on Siberian Slapping videos.  The algorithm appears to have gotten you reasonably pegged, because... you actually ended up watching a video on a topic you weren't searching for.  
    This is true.  But, I won't be watching another one, ever.  

(unless they are some sweet babushkas, my kind of wimmen:  heat in the winter, shade in the summer, and can pull the plow when the horse is sick!)  

• OhioEgger
    Options
    And now for something completely different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XeDvKqI4E 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    sumoconnell said:

This is true.  But, I won't be watching another one, ever. 
    Whatever video they show you gets posted back here on the forum and generates an extra 20k views.  @Botch is youtube’s “startup” videos secret weapon 😂🤣😂

Options
    OhioEgger said:
    And now for something completely different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XeDvKqI4E 

+1 for anything Monty Python
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk