Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ATK tests remote thermometers

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,427
Excellent!  They just saved me $99.  Do wish they would've done some kind of probe durability test, that seems to be my bugaboo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQE-EvNypP4

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2021
    From the same people that say the BGE isn't worth it, and briquettes are better than lump.  That being said, the Thermoworks Smoke is a good unit.....used them before.

They didn't rate the FlameBoss FBT, but that's also about the same price point (and it's wifi enabled.)

https://www.shop.flameboss.com/product/flame-boss-wifi-thermometer/

• tomtnc
    tomtnc Posts: 24
    Just bought the 4 channel signals a week ago when they had it on sale for 20%off because of having both WiFi and Bluetooth. Have been using the IGrill but got tired of the lost connections and not reliable for overnight cooks. I note no BBQ Guru products tested and makes me wonder why. Anyhow, just used it yesterday for a turkey and “Canadian bacon, sans cornmeal”😀 and it was flawless. Could have saved some money, but I too am curious about durability. 
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I have been using my Smoke for a couple years now and it doses a great job with temps.
  • The Smoke works great for me and the probes are very reasonably priced as opposed to most all the others.
  • I bought a Smoke last month.  Love it. 
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Have had my Smoke and Gateway for 3 years plus. Have replaced both probes once, will be doing so again here shortly.

want the Signals.....waiting for the Smoke to kick the bucket
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    curious didn't give an opinion on the Meater+, own 1 but have never used it
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Really thought this was a different ATK... was expecting a very high temp prob and honestly a little disappointed. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Wolfpack said:
    Really thought this was a different ATK... was expecting a very high temp prob and honestly a little disappointed. 
    Heh, I worked for them for two years, when they were still pronounced "Thiokol"...  =)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    @Botch - At KSC we pronounced it "Morton-Thiakol" and it was a disaster on January 28, 1986.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Serious Q:

is there any remote, wireless or wired, that simply displays the temp of the meat and allow you to set alarms for any temp?

Presets for different meats etc are a waste of screen space, and don’t help at all. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    PigBeanUs said:
    Serious Q:

is there any remote, wireless or wired, that simply displays the temp of the meat and allow you to set alarms for any temp?

Presets for different meats etc are a waste of screen space, and don’t help at all. 

Yes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Botch said:
    Wolfpack said:
    Heh, I worked for them for two years, when they were still pronounced "Thiokol"...  =)
    @Botch My dad worked for Thiokol for 25+ years, building rocket motors.  My brother joined them about 1982 - stayed with them right through to Northrop-Gruman.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE