Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib steaks

Options
I have steaks in my fridge for 6 days. Are they safe?

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Yes - if your refrigerator temperature is below 40 degrees.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    In fact, they will be even better than they were when you bought them. Aging works wonders for beef.
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    I’ve got a couple of steaks in the fridge now. Salt on both sides and uncovered on a plate and in a plastic container also uncovered. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Also, welcome aboard and show us some pics when you cook them.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    I tried to dry age a rib roast for almost 2 weeks.  As long as your fridge is cold, the steaks should be fine ... but I wouldn't expect any flavor enhancements. The outside might be a bit drier and tougher ... dry aging only works if it is for MUCH longer time frames, and with a way to pull water out of the ambient surroundings.

Let us know how they turned out.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Nothing to add regarding the steaks other than they will be great eats as long as you nail the finish cook temp.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    I tried to dry age a rib roast for almost 2 weeks.  As long as your fridge is cold, the steaks should be fine ... but I wouldn't expect any flavor enhancements. The outside might be a bit drier and tougher ... dry aging only works if it is for MUCH longer time frames, and with a way to pull water out of the ambient surroundings.

Let us know how they turned out.
    OP has steaks. Can’t dry age steaks. 

Presumably too their steaks are in original packaging. You can age that way, just not dry age.

no need for any special mechanism to remove humidity from ambient surroundings. A refrigerator will dry the meat perfectly fine. In fact, better to not actively remove humidity. We are not trying to dehydrate it quickly or fully