Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Kind of Advent Calendar

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    All in with the downgrade on the MM.  I am not a fan of the wheat in the mash bill. But they have a solid product and their marketing is world-class.  
    What a way to start the day-better to be lucky than good!
    Payback is gonna be off the chart! (As it should be!)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    All in with the downgrade on the MM.  I am not a fan of the wheat in the mash bill. But they have a solid product and their marketing is world-class.  
    It’s funny, I like wheated bourbon but MM doesn’t appeal to me for some reason.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I’ve not been a big fan of MM in the past, even though I think their Cask Strength is really pretty good (and it will set you into LEO right quick).  

But this was an OK pour for me tonight. I appreciated it. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Legume said:
    lousubcap said:
    It’s funny, I like wheated bourbon but MM doesn’t appeal to me for some reason.
    It’s a great mixing pour for like old fashions or with soda.  Back when you could get a handle for like $20 (circa 2007ish) before the bourbon craze it was my go to.  I still have a soft spot for it but there are petter pours out there for sure.  Like mentioned later the cask strength is really good and I enjoy the 46 on the rocks but I don’t go out of my way for it. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This is not one I know:

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This is not one I know:

This is different.  Not bad.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Drinks by the Drachm
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Given the number to provide I'm quite sure there will be many you don't know and if you do then to get that quantity they will be bottom surfers from college days. Regardless, one impressive gift.  Livin' and doing it right!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Given the number to provide I'm quite sure there will be many you don't know and if you do then to get that quantity they will be bottom surfers from college days. Regardless, one impressive gift.  Livin' and doing it right!
    I'm hoping MadDog 2020 or Boones Farm makes an appearance.
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Slumming it today!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Always a nice pour.  

Cheers lads.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    We all buy the no day drinking during the week but you may have to just toss it back on Saturday and Sunday AM for entertainment value.   B)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I think it’d be fun if the makers of that calendar trolled buyers by including a few real duds. Bet a lot of people couldn’t tell the difference. Recently blind tasted one brandy, one rye, one bourbon and one scotch with friends and family. Had to identify which was which. I was the only participant to correctly identify all of them (not to brag) and the closest competitor had identified two out of four correctly. Too many people’s palates are dictated by what they detect with their eyes and wallets. 

The other neat spin would be to have all the bottles be marked only with a letter and include a random list of the whiskies on the back of the calendar. Tasters could score them and guess at which was which as they went along. The 24th would reveal the answer key.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Too many people’s palates are dictated by what they detect with their eyes and wallets. 

No doubt true.  I'm far from an aficionado when it comes to whiskey.  I know what I like and don't like, and that's about it.  I haven't yet gotten to the point of understanding why I like a particular bourbon or scotch, which would help guide me in trying new ones.  

That's one of the reasons I'm loving this advent calendar, as I am definitely trying some varieties I probably wouldn't have otherwise.  
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options

It has been a long time since I’ve had Gentleman Jack. Roughly 20 years ago that was my poison of choice. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I think it’d be fun if the makers of that calendar trolled buyers by including a few real duds. Bet a lot of people couldn’t tell the difference. Recently blind tasted one brandy, one rye, one bourbon and one scotch with friends and family. Had to identify which was which. I was the only participant to correctly identify all of them (not to brag) and the closest competitor had identified two out of four correctly. Too many people’s palates are dictated by what they detect with their eyes and wallets. 

The other neat spin would be to have all the bottles be marked only with a letter and include a random list of the whiskies on the back of the calendar. Tasters could score them and guess at which was which as they went along. The 24th would reveal the answer key.  
    A group of 8-10 friends and I did a blind taste test with 7-8 cheap domestic beers. The overall concensus for the best tasting and flavor was Keystone light. 

I 100% agree with your statement about your eyes and wallets. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Not to steal any thunder, but the wife bought us his and hers calendars from the same company this year. I got the whisky, she got gin. All good on my side, but she had one that I'm pretty sure wouldn't take an expert to identify correctly as "Sheep Dip".

Note the review mark made on the side!

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    WeberWho said:

A group of 8-10 friends and I did a blind taste test with 7-8 cheap domestic beers. The overall concensus for the best tasting and flavor was Keystone light. 

I 100% agree with your statement about your eyes and wallets. 
    That doesn’t surprise me. Many years back, my wife’s family, who is into wine, hosted a Malbec-themed blind tasting. All bottles in the $60 range. We tasted about six bottles and scored them as we went. At the last second, my b-i-l came out with an additional surprise entry. Upon tasting, we ALL agreed it was the best to date. It was a $9 bottle of Fuzion. That story is both embarrassing and telling. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Happy Friday my friends!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Happy Friday my friends!
    This one is really pretty good.  I like it.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

I think this should be pretty good.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    That’s a tasty pour! Try to wait until tonight to sample
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    edited December 2020
    Options
    blind99 said:
    That’s a tasty pour! Try to wait until tonight to sample
    I will for sure.  Couldn’t quite pull the trigger on the morning pour with this one, @lousubcap, sorry about that. ;)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

I think this should be pretty good.
    This was nice.  I’m not sure it’s my favorite but it’s very smooth. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    If I’m not mistaken, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, and Pappy Van Winkle all come out of the same distillery. I’ve had and enjoyed the 1st two.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @shtgunal3 - You are correct along with Blanton's and EH Taylor.  Every one has a different mash bill and thus flavour profile.  All good, some better than others.  FWIW-
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @shtgunal3 - You are correct along with Blanton's and EH Taylor.  Every one has a different mash bill and thus flavour profile.  All good, some better than others.  FWIW-
    And Weller.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,313
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Just spotted this guy at the liquor store. Sent a photo to my wife, who kindly got me a great beer advent calendar this year, in case she feels like switching things up next year.