Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommended Commerical Injections

Options
I haven't dabbled much with injecting on my cooks, but I'm always tinkering with recipes and wanting to try new things.  Outside of meatchurch, what are some other recommended commercial injections for respective meats? 
Lakeville, MN

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have used the Kosmos injections a few times in the past. It is a good product, but it is fairly expensive. I used the pork injection last Christmas on a pork bone in roast I bought at Costco. It definitely made it turn out much better.

As far as the brisket injection, I'm no brisket expert to begin with, so my opinion of the brisket injection is not the most qualified. With that being said, I was not impressed with the brisket injection. Too me it got in the way of the true brisket flavor I was looking for.

In the end, due to cost, and always having to order the injections, I doubt I will continue to use them after my current stock is depleted.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Butchers BBQ or Kosmos are the ones I have used. They do retain moisture as promised. I’ve never had any flavor issues described above. Never. Most comp teams use them. I think oak ridge makes one too????
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I've used Butchers BBQ, does retain moisture, does give a flavor boost, I rarely use it.....good meat starts with good meat..., totally unessesary for backyard BBQ IMO

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Butchers BBQ or Kosmos are the ones I have used. They do retain moisture as promised. I’ve never had any flavor issues described above. Never. Most comp teams use them. I think oak ridge makes one too????

I just used the Oak Ridge on a turkey last week. It is a brine or injection mix.
    Didnt see much difference on whole chicken, did one with and without. Turkey was a 12 hour brine and it seemed moist. I usually make my own injection with butter and rubs I like. Do one side of bird with one and other with the old standby. Who knows the new may turn into the old standby. You can do Cajun on one side and something else on other for people who dont like Cajun.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    I've only used Game Changer by Oakridge on pork. It did well

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Tspud1 said:

I just used the Oak Ridge on a turkey last week. It is a brine or injection mix.
    Didnt see much difference on whole chicken, did one with and without. Turkey was a 12 hour brine and it seemed moist. I usually make my own injection with butter and rubs I like. Do one side of bird with one and other with the old standby. Who knows the new may turn into the old standby. You can do Cajun on one side and something else on other for people who dont like Cajun.
    I've never personally used any Oakridge products, but have heard good feedback mostly on this forum. My favorite poultry brine is the one sold by the Briner Bucket guy (turkey Tom) I think. My experience is that brining is superior to injecting for poultry. I have and continue to inject some of my briskets depending on the conditions and the particular cut. I've used Butchers mostly but have done a couple with Kosmos. My injecting briskets is mostly if not solely for moisture retention.  
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    You just missed Oak Ridge best sale of year. They make very good rubs and I like their packaging. I have some of Butchers products also.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Butcher BBQ injections are excellent.  I used their Bird Booster injection the other day for my turkey and it was juicy and flavorful.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Kosmos, butcher bbq and oakridge are all fantastic injections.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • teamunited33
    Options
    Appreciate the feedback all, grabbed Kosmos at the local Ace purely out of ease.  When do you generally inject? The night prior or right before it hits the smoker? 
    Lakeville, MN
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    There is something to be said for injecting *on* the Egg in terms of mess/hassle. 
    Mountain View, CA
  • teamunited33
    Options
    Great tip @dmourati - that's the route I went
    Lakeville, MN
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Appreciate the feedback all, grabbed Kosmos at the local Ace purely out of ease.  When do you generally inject? The night prior or right before it hits the smoker? 
    I shoot for about an hour before or right before. Pork can get hammy if you inject it too early.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum