Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

drip pan with turkey?

OK, I really want to use one, for the drippings for the gravy. One BGE advice is to put the pan on the place setter under the rack, raised with aluminum foil. Another instruction says to put the bird inside the pan on its own rack, with the pan on the rack. What has worked for you? (And I'm even wondering if the lid will close over a pan that's on the rack...)Basically, I want drippings. And I prefer them not to be burnt!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i use a pizza stone and spider, i dont have a platesetter. but legs up on a platesetter with a grid on top should work. this is a 16 pound bird, you might need to do a test fit with the bird and modify if necessary

duck fat gravey and turkey  Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate  Cooking Experience

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i start with chicken or turkey stock in the pan and keep it full during the cook. wear gloves opening the dome, the steam can burn your hands, you dont want to deal with burn blisters on the holiday
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    The Mad Max recipe I read said platesetter inverted, which I read as legs down, and a spider to raise roast pan with no grate. I guess I'll try that tomorrow.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2020
    It depends on the size of the bird. I usually go with your second option. Plate setter legs up, some kind of spacer, and the roasting pan. 

This is not my picture (found with google image search). I used a similar setup.
    Credit to @SmokenBonesATX

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1209906/turkey-a-la-mad-max

For the spacer I think balls of foil flattened into pucks would work fine. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    RyanStl said:
    The Mad Max recipe I read said platesetter inverted, which I read as legs down, and a spider to raise roast pan with no grate. I guess I'll try that tomorrow.
    Okay, now I'm looking at pictures on the actual Dizzy Pig website and he has legs up on platesetter.  I guess our idea of inverted is different.
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Foil worked great.  Stopped drip pan from burning.  Used water to start egg
    Columbus, Ohio
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I put down a foil pan with 2 cups of chicken stock in it. One corner got a little charred but otherwise worked fine. Used a spider and stone to go indirect and cooked at about the felt line.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    imb said:
    OK, I really want to use one, for the drippings for the gravy. One BGE advice is to put the pan on the place setter under the rack, raised with aluminum foil. Another instruction says to put the bird inside the pan on its own rack, with the pan on the rack. What has worked for you? (And I'm even wondering if the lid will close over a pan that's on the rack...)Basically, I want drippings. And I prefer them not to be burnt!
    I put the bird in a pan, and raise on a rack (it was a large roast rack, and lifted the bird at least 2" off the pan). That worked 100%.  Good flavor in the bird, and the drippings were all caught to make amazing gravy (Mad Max Method).
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning @imb

Here is my setup...I use 0.5 inch copper elbows between each layer...

And for keeping the bird out of the drippings the rack is put on some carrot chunks...

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL