Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Turkey a la Mad Max

We hosted a little Friendsgiving last weekend at our place. Decided to do my first turkey roasted on the Egg. Followed Mad Max’s directions from Naked Whiz and it came out beautiful. The seasoning is worth it. I threw in one chunk of pecan which gave a perfect hint of flavor. Main reason I’m posting, if you all need a roasting pan, I’ve included a link from amazon below. Pan is 14x12 and easily fit over the plate setter and held a 21lb turkey no problem. Happy cooking. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015YUEWQ8/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pics:
1. Pre cook

2. On the Egg

3. One hour in

4. Three hours in

5. Finished product done to perfection. Super moist with crispy skin. 

Comments

• EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 1,125
    Great looking bird, have done this recipe a few times with great results, especially the gravy.   thanks for the pan link.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010), Mini Max (2015)
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,966
    Looks like you nailed it!  Thanks for sharing...
    Southlake, TX.  And any chance I get,  @ Cowhouse Creek - Gatesville, TX
  • That looks tremendous. Nice work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Which size egg do you have that fit that roasting pan well?  Large or XL?

Great looking bird!

SmokenBonesATX said:
    We hosted a little Friendsgiving last weekend at our place. Decided to do my first turkey roasted on the Egg. Followed Mad Max’s directions from Naked Whiz and it came out beautiful. The seasoning is worth it. I threw in one chunk of pecan which gave a perfect hint of flavor. Main reason I’m posting, if you all need a roasting pan, I’ve included a link from amazon below. Pan is 14x12 and easily fit over the plate setter and held a 21lb turkey no problem. Happy cooking. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015YUEWQ8/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Pics:
    1. Pre cook

2. On the Egg

3. One hour in

4. Three hours in

5. Finished product done to perfection. Super moist with crispy skin. 

• Great bird!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • That’s a large egg. I’d imagine your standard 16inch roasting pan would fit on an XL. I also used some terra cotta “feet” from a planter to elevate the roasting pan about 1.5 inches off the plate setter to keep air flowing beneath the pan and prevent scorching. 
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 4,496
    Thanks for sharing. Plus one on the best gravy ever!

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014, 36" Blackstone, Anova Sous Vide
    Green Man Group 
    Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokinbSmokinb Posts: 103
    Looks awesome. I'm doing this in a disposable alum foil pan. have no interest in cleaning a pan like that. ;)
  • Have a few questions about raising the pan off the plate setter. Not crazy about aluminum foil balls under pan.
    Was anyone used a wire cooking rack to keep the pan off the plate setter ?

• pasoeggpasoegg Posts: 414
    that would work at my house everyday....way to cross the finish line!!!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Nice color.....killer cook............well done!  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Looks good. Does anyone have the old mad max recipe not using his own rub? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.